10

Alex slowed down to drive by the construction site. From the truck, they saw a bunch of workers moving around the cabins. Markus' and another car were parked outside the manager's cabin. So Alex drove on past the complex and took the Bake Lake Road to the Boulder Creek public campground. The place was empty at that time of the year, and Jeff's cabin was closed. His truck wasn't there, either. Which was actually good news, because they wouldn't need to come up with some lie to justify their being there. Alex parked the Hilux outside the Forest Station. They grabbed shotgun and crossbow and walked into the woods between the public campground and the complex.

There were no trails in that area, but they didn't need any. They walked side by side, without a word, scanning the woods around and ahead. Soon they reached the spot where Alex had come out of The Guardian's underground maze. Claire grabbed her arm, stopping her.

"They're all here," the girl murmured. She tried to say something more but gasped instead, covering her mouth as her eyes got full of tears. "Oh, my, Al..." she mumbled, staggering. "The pain Harry's in... And the way those bastards enjoy it..."

Alex held her up and helped her to sit on a fallen tree. "Stay here, kiddo," she said. "And stay sharp. I'll be right back."

Claire could only nod, fighting back her tears.

Alex sneaked away toward the complex, but never made it to the last tress. She was only fifty yards away from where she'd left Claire when she heard a shuffle behind her. She cocked her shotgun and spun around. To find the foggy figure of an old shaman coming closer.

"Guardian," she greeted, lowering her gun.

He nodded at her and stood by her side, his dark eyes on the seventh cabin past the trees. "I told you they were bringing grief and darkness to the land," he said.

In a flash, Alex recalled all The Guardian had said to her last year, down in his maze. She hadn't paid any attention to his words back then, too busy trying to talking him into letting George go.

"So this is what you were talking about! Why wouldn't just tell me what it was all about?"

The Guardian met her eyes, raising his eyebrows. "I did. But you would not listen."

Alex breathed in, knowing she deserved the scolding. Damn! If only she'd connected the dots back then! Maybe they could've prevented it all! And Alice would still be alive. And Harry wouldn't be on some demonic torture table.

"They dug and built an underground chamber beneath that cabin," The Guardian said.

"Is there any way in from outside the cabin?" Alex asked, forcing herself to focus on the situation again.

"Not that I know of."

Meaning plain no. The Guardian would know if they'd cut a single thread of grass to build a secondary exit. Alex turned to him, an apologetic grimace on her face. "I'm sorry, Guardian. You're right: you warned me."

"It is not too late, hunter, since you are here and aware."

She knew she should take that as a compliment. They observed the cabin in silence for a long moment.

"So the only way to get to the basement is getting into the cabin," Alex said.

"Yes."

"But they don't stay the night, right?"

"No. They use to leave at sunset."

"Alright, then. I'll be back by nightfall."

"You want to rescue their prisoner."

"Yes."

"I will watch the cabin for you."

"Thank you so much, Guardian. I gotta go now."

The Guardian nodded at her and dissolved in thin air. Alex glanced at the cabin one last time and walked into the woods again.

She found Claire still sitting on the fallen tree, a hand to her mouth as she cried quietly. Alex helped her up and put an arm around her shoulders on their way back to the Hilux.

"He only wants to die, Al," Claire murmured as Alex hit the gas to take them away from there.

Alex pressed the girl's hand and felt her shiver.

"That's all he wants... So bad..." Claire suffocated a sob. "But those monsters... They just wouldn't let him..."

"It's alright, kiddo. We're coming for him as soon as the sun goes down."