11

On Sunday, after Jack's funeral, Father Jason invited Tom and the Corbans to his house. Ollie and Graham joined them, and all of them sat together to have a coffee and talk about what had happened. And only there, for the first time, each of them told the part they'd played on the last part of the story, bringing it all together.

And then Alex finally found out what had happened in the clearing, while she was still in what Claire called 'zombie mode.' Everybody gawked at the girl when Thames and Tom told what she'd done, and Alex and Ollie felt their duty to scold her for being so reckless.

Tom kept an eye on Alex as they talked, to see if anything they said seemed to ring a bell to her. But she didn't show any sign of recalling anything. When they asked her about it, she shook her head.

"The last thing I remember is that demon shackling me, and then Blake offered me a glass of wine," she said with a thoughtful frown. "Guess he somehow forced me to drink it, and it knocked down my brain, because I don't even remember channeling." She shrugged. "Anyway, I'm not actually dying to know what that son of a bitch did to me. Would you, if you were me?"

The others agreed and Claire, sensing that Tom grew more and more worried, asked Graham about the neighbors' calls.

"Is it true you said that Markus was throwing a party with searchlights?"

"Well, I tried to keep it as honest as I could," the sheriff replied.

"What happened to the man they were about to sacrifice?" asked Alex.

"After Father Jason picked Claire and Father Thames up, Ollie and I went down to the clearing. Spare yourselves the description. But the man was still there, and still alive.

"He had his driver license on him," said Ollie. "We saw he was from Concrete, so we took him to the ER there and said we'd found him out on the shoulder of the road."

"Nice touch," said Alex. "Now we gotta think what're we gonna do with Markus' house. And all the cars that must still be there. And whatever is left in the clearing."

"Don't worry, I called the troopers yesterday," Graham replied. "I told them to come check on the house, because I suspect something weird is going on there, but it's outside my jurisdiction."

"Good idea. Now let's hope the troopers don't come here looking for answers," said Father Jason.

"Don't worry, Father," Graham said. "If they come, I'll handle them."

Alex waited until she was back home with Claire and Tom to ask about George.

"What happened to him? You guys said he was in the clearing."

"He was there to be initiated," Tom replied curtly.

Claire grimaced. "And I think it was just a formality, Al. 'Cause I saw a red spark in his eyes, just like Markus."

"Okay, but what—?"

"I don't think he made it through the channeling, Alex. Actually, I hope he didn't."

Alex stiffened, taken aback. It was weird, Tom being so blunt and harsh. She nodded slowly, letting the news sink in. And she realized that somehow she knew it. Tears came to her eyes.

"He was there because of me," she muttered.

Tom scowled. He traded a look with Claire and the girl asked, "What d'you mean, Al? How would you know that?"

"I... I can't tell. I just know." Alex shook her head. "Maybe I heard something, or saw something... I don't know..."

Claire sensed her guilt and snapped. "Well, good riddance, then, Al. Remember he was working for demons! And if he saw you there, and he did nothing...! Then he had it coming!"

Alex shook her head again, trying to find words for the strange certainty she felt. "No, no... He wanted to save me... That's why he was..."

Tom turned pale, wondering why and how clearly she remembered that. But Claire didn't her linger on it.

"Red eyes, Al!" she repeated, her voice lashing every word. "And he was willing to let them kill that man and drink his blood! So to hell with him!"

Alex met her eyes, shocked. "Well, if he had demon's blood in him when he... Then that's where he's going."

"Good. Hope he and his dear Markus have fun together down there."

Alex frowned deeper. "What's with you, kiddo? It's not like you, saying all those things."

"Well, a hell of a week, that's what's with me!" Claire took a hand to her mouth. "Wait, you're right. I sound like... you... Yuck!"

"Yuck? And what's that supposed to mean?"

Tom felt he was able to breathe again when the argument slid softly into one of their usual fake quarrels. He knew it'd been only the first obstacle down a long, long road. But they'd moved past it. They'd cross the bridges as they came. One at a time.