7

Ollie stared at the clock on the wall. When it read six sharp, he closed the folder he was working on and stood up, reaching for his jacket.

"Ready for a wild weekend, kid?" asked Reynolds from the front desk.

"Hell yes," Ollie replied.

Graham walked out of his office and frowned at hearing them. "Hey, Ollie, remember you're up tomorrow night."

The boy turned to him as if he'd stabbed him in the back.

Graham raised his eyebrows. "Didn't Bryant tell you? It's his wedding anniversary, so he asked me to spare him the Saturday watch. He was supposed to tell you a couple of days ago."

Ollie heard Reynolds' scoff and thought of punching his nose. Instead, he turned to the deputy.

"Don't look at me, kid. My boy's got soccer game in Burlington on Sunday morning."

So Ollie could only turn to Graham again and perform a combo of nod, sigh and shrug. The station front door opened behind him and Reynolds scoffed again.

"Good afternoon, everybody!" Claire greeted.

Ollie tipped his hat at Graham and led Claire out before she could say or do anything else. He avoided eye contact with Reynolds. If he faced the man's mocking smirk, he'd have to punch his lights out. However, he couldn't help thinking about some kind of payback.

"What happened?" asked Claire, concerned.

"Let's get out of here and I'll tell you."

Maybe making the man's coffee with salt instead of sugar on Monday morning? Yeah, and let him scoff at that, damn idiot.