16

Claire finished taking care of Ollie and made Tom sit on the couch for his turn to be patched up. She saw the way he started at Aidan, cleaning Alex's scratched face. She giggled under her breath, catching his attention.

"It's okay, Tom," she whispered. "Remember what I told you."

Tom shrugged, doubtful. He wasn't about to drop his guard just because the girl said so.

"What're we gonna do Al?" Bass asked then. "We can't have those monsters in town!"

"Yeah. Look what they did to you, guys," Phil said. "And what they did to poor old Peterson."

Alex sighed. "You just said it: they're monsters. So I think you guys should sit this one out and let me take care of them."

Graham snorted. "You and what army? We know you, Al. And we know Tom's got your back. But you too have a snowball's chance to even scratch them."

"It's not just Tom and me, Dave. Aidan and Mark are here now and—"

"So what?" Bass cut her off, upset. "We were four against one of them and my brother maybe doesn't make it outta the OR! And look at the beating you took!"

Ollie raised his hand to calm them down. "Look, Al. This isn't about who. It's about what and how. We. All of us. I think Bass is asking if you know what we can do to kill'em or at least put'em on the run."

"Exactly. Of course we're with you on this, Al," said Bass.

"This is our town," Graham said. "We're in this just like you. And don't even think about trying to shut us out."

Claire glanced at her aunt, her face screaming, "head that?"

Alex took a shaky breath at their determination. She knew them: they meant it. If they fought all together, would they have any chance of winning that battle?

"So you met the Keepers," Thames said. "The third demon wasn't around?"

"The third one is a woman," Claire replied.

"Meaning it's wearing one," said Mark.

"Leave it to me," said Aidan.

Tom saw Claire and Mark roll their eyes as Alex scoffed at the hunter's wink.

"And were you able to do them any kind of harm?" Thames asked.

"I certainly hope so," Ollie said.

"I'd say we did," Alex replied. "Tom got half a dozen arrows in them. And the rest of us shot them each more than twice. But they knocked us all out anyway."

"And when we came back, they were gone," said Bass.

"Runts," said Mark.

Alex nodded. "Yeah. They rescued the Keepers and took them and Bormstone away while we were out."

"Meaning the Keepers must be weak right now," Aidan said.

Alex tried to ignore Tom's stare and kept her eyes on Thames. "But they've got Bormstone. Meaning a fresh heart at hand. As we speak."

"If they took Harry, and they've got a bunch of runts around, maybe they're planning one of their rites in the woods, where they killed Alice," said Claire.

"Then Markus' place it is," said Graham.

"Not you, Dave. You're law enforcement. You can't take any part in this."

Graham glared at Alex. "Right!" he snarled. "Ollie's going and I'm falling back! Anytime!"

"I'm off duty," the boy said.

Thames turned to Alex. "You shouldn't take any of them with you, Alex. It's too dangerous."

All eyes turned to him, furrowed brows on top of them.

"The three of us against two demons and a bunch of runts?" said Alex.

"Not to mention Ritmann, who butchered a dozen Protectors single-handed," said Aidan. "With due respect, Padre, that's volunteering to be their late snack."

"But if we are ten..." said Alex.

"Those odds I like," said Aidan.

"Claire's not coming," Ollie stated categorically.

The girl was ready to argue, and gawked when Alex anticipated her. "Look, Ollie, I hate to admit it, but had she come with us to Boulder Creek, she could've tipped us off about the demons in the woods right away."

Bass killed his beer and stood up. "Okay, we gotta gear up. Any suggestion?"

"Bring your biggest pair, pal," Aidan replied.

All of them managed a smile at his words. Bass, Sean and Phil left. Ollie and Graham followed, still arguing about whether the sheriff should stay or should he go.

Thames walked them to the door, as to make sure they were leaving. Back to the living room, he faced Alex and Aidan, dead serious.

"You sure about this, child? Are you really taking them with you, even though they have no idea what they're up against?"

"Oh, and I do?" Alex replied. "You know what fighting demons is like. Aidan and Mark may know. But I gave it my first try just a while ago. With them. I'm as much of a rookie as they are."

"You've got Bootter's lore and training. You can't drag them to find out that their worst nightmares are true past their worst fears."

Aidan clicked his tongue and stood up between them, as if shielding Alex. "Look, Padre, the ugly truth is that you're the only one here that stands any chance against them. But you say you can't go anywhere near that house. So sit tight and let us get as much backup as we can, okay?"

Thames scowled at him, openly pissed. "You're not who's gonna feel guilt when—not if—they get hurt. She's the one who's gonna feel their blood on her hands for the rest of her life."

"She already does," said Claire, ignoring Alex's murderous glare. "Don't forget Jack in the hospital."

"Well, she won't get to feel shit if those sons of bitches kill her tonight, will she!"

Aidan's angry reproach took everybody aback, and prompted Father Jason to intervene and try to ease the tensions around.

"Honestly, I never thought anything like this would happen," he said with a sad grimace. "I mean us, here, talking about real demons at our doorstep. Discussing about killing and dying." He sighed and looked up at Thames. "But come to it, I think they're right, Father. We cannot send Alex and these two boys against such evil creatures all by themselves."

Thames shook his head, giving up. "Alright. Then let's get you guys as ready as possible."

"Good idea," said Aidan, and turned to Alex. "Where can I buy a decent burger?"