1

"Take away, take away my eyes
Sometimes I'd rather be blind..."
Alice Cooper, I Never Cry

Tom thanked the man handing him a bottle of water. He took the phone to his ear and strolled away from the people crowding the parking lot. Alex picked up right away.

"Mr. Sutton. Did you guys find her?"

Tom glanced back at the ambulance across the parking lot. "Yeah. She was half a mile away from where they were camping. She got disoriented in the dark and then sprained her ankle, so she couldn't make it back to the tent."

"Well, that's good news. You okay? You sound out of breath."

"It's a steep slope to carry somebody all the way down. You still coming?"

"If you'd still have me."

"Let me get back at you about that after I get some sleep."

"Oh, we're feeling smart. Fine for me."

"I'm kidding. But I do need a shut-eye. What time are you coming?"

"How about five?"

"Perfect."

"Go to sleep then. And if another damsel in distress pops up, take a rain check, please."

"Yes, ma'am. See you later. Take care."

"Sleep tight."

Tom disconnected, still smiling, and took the bottle to his lips. He emptied half of it in a long gulp. He was drained. Diane, his tech's wife, had gotten lost the night before, and Tom had led the improvised search party. They'd spent most of the night and until eight a.m. out, canvassing Ladder Creek. He'd been the one who'd found her, so people made way for him to reach the ambulance, patting his back and congratulating him.

Diane sat in the back of the ambulance, wrapped in a blanket, while medics took care of her sprained angle. Her husband Trent was by her side, one of their children in his arm and the other stuck to Diane. Their faces lit up when they say Tom coming. He lingered with them until the medics were done. They were taking Diane to the hospital in Concrete for a complete check.

Tom closed one of the back doors of the ambulance with a last smile to Diane. Her son crawled in right by him, climbing to his mother's arms. Tom looked up at them and had a glimpse of Diane's eyes: they turned completely golden for a heartbeat. And a hungry twist pursed her whole face when she faced her son. Tom stepped back, frowning. The medic closed and locked the doors, then hurried to climb in behind the ambulance wheel.

Tom stood there, watching the ambulance drive away. Trent hurried to his car with his daughter. Tom's eyes stayed on the road. What had he just seen? Was it real? Was it just a weird reflection? His mouth fell dry, but it had nothing to do with thirst.