18

Kat checked Felicity was asleep and headed to her bedroom. Instead of going straight to the bathroom, she went to the window first and looked out, still concerned about what she'd seen the night before—especially because Alice hadn't called or texted back to answer her message.

The house next door was dark and quiet as it should. And Felicity was sound asleep. So Kat texted Bass to let him know he could drop by for a beer and went on to the bathroom for a quick shower.

* * *

Ollie scored yet another record on his game and pushed his chair back, bored to death and hating that Saturday night watch. Claire was coming after dinner, but in the meantime, all he could think about was how to get back at Bryant for screwing up his weekend like this—and not being man enough to let him know in advance.

Lucky he, Claire showed up earlier, smiling and smelling of flowers, with what was left of the pie she'd baked for him in the afternoon. They were setting everything to watch a movie with pie and coffee when the phone rang.

"I'm so gonna kill Mrs. Woodson," Ollie grunted, picking up.

"Ollie? Hey, it's Bass. Listen, I'm at Kat's place and we think somebody broke in next door, at Alice's. Can you come over to take a look with me?"

"You mean somebody broke into Alice's house?" asked Ollie, to make sure he'd gotten it right.

"Yeah. Maybe it's only the usual rascals. But we're hearing weird noises and we spotted a person moving up and down the house."

"I'm on my way."

Ollie hung up, already reaching out to grab his jacket, and shook his head at Claire's questioning frown.

"Looks like Stevie and his buddies raised the stake, from throwing parties in abandoned places to breaking into houses. I'm gonna kick their asses back home and be right back."

"Want me to go with you?"

"No need, baby. I'll be back in thirty tops."

"Take care."