8

Tom and Alex strolled down the only street to the second suspension bridge over the Skagit. She paused halfway to the other bank to gaze down the river, at the lights from the houses reflecting on the quick, cold waters. Tom waited in silence for her to resume their way.

On the other side, he led her up a steep trail into the woods, following Ladder Creek's southern bank. They didn't turn on their flashlights. Tom didn't need one to see the trail in the darkened forest, and he guided Alex by the hand.

The trail ended at a huge tree fallen across the stream, and they used it to reach the northern bank. From there, Tom took Alex up the stream again, to climb a massive rock raising a hundred feet over the water.

He helped her reach the top of the rock and rounded her waist with his arm when the wind came blowing down the valley to swirl around them. Alex clung to his jacket to control a flash of vertigo. Even though it was a clear night, it seemed like a pitch black sea of void opened at their feet.

Tom made her sit down on the cold stone, looking east, and sat behind her, flanking her with his legs. Alex felt his chest close to her back and saw his arms resting on his legs. And there was no more fear of tripping and falling, because he was there with her.

He pointed ahead, at the mountains the stream flowed from, and she noticed the pale glow cutting the peaks in black. She rested her back against his chest and tried to play mocking.

"You brought me here to watch the moonrise? Are we getting romantic, Mr. Sutton?"

"You tell me. A chunk of frozen rock floating in outer space is romantic?"

Alex chuckled. She loved the way he always threw her jokes back at her.

They fell silent as the glow grew brighter. And when the crescent moon showed over the mountains, its pale light flooded the black sea below them. Now they could see clearly the whole valley, the stream, the ravines, the woods.

Tom leaned in and his arms circled Alex loosely. She covered one of his hands with hers, her thumb brushing his skin while the moon climbed the sky.

"It's beautiful," she murmured.

"I'm glad you're here to see it."

And she knew it was time to take the leap. She looked ahead and tried to keep from stuttering.

"Tom, would you..." She breathed deep. In her mind, she was standing alone at the edge of that huge rock. With a foot in the air. "Would you freak out too bad if I... if I told you that I... have feelings for you?"

That was it. She'd said it. She'd taken the step off the cliff.

As she spiraled down toward the rocks there below, she heard him say, "I think I'd freak out if you didn't."

And she wasn't falling anymore. She was sitting on top of the world, in his arms. And his voice sounded so close to her ear that it caused her a chill.

She turned her head to look up at him, taken aback by his words. Tom frowned at her surprise. She didn't ask anything, too busy processing the whole meaning of his answer. His lips pursed in a smile and he kissed her.

He kept her to his chest to whisper in her ear, "I love you."

Alex stuck to him, hiding her face against his neck. He held her tight, feeling her shiver.

She didn't move, a lump in her throat and her heart hammering her chest. Yeah, sure, Claire had told her a hundred times about Tom's feelings. But hearing it form his own lips was pretty different. However, she was not scared, nor burdened. She realized she was so happy it made her feel like a fool.

Lucky her, Tom didn't expect any answer for her—not in words. Her racing heart told him more than anything she could say. So he just held her in silence, his fingers entwined in her long dark hair, giving her a moment to put herself back together.