3

The bonfire was already burning in the clearing when Tom pulled over on the shoulder of the road by the lake, three-hundred yards past the town line and Markus' place. Even from there, Claire felt the choking sensation Blake always caused her. Thames turned to her from the passenger seat.

"You okay, child?"

She nodded, knowing that if they saw her hesitate, they would lock her up in the Yukon and leave her behind.

"I hope you are, 'cause what you're sensing now could be but a taste of what's coming." Thames faced Tom. "And you better be ready too. We're gonna witness some ugly things, and that may include Alex."

Tom nodded too, radiating determination.

"So you two, remember: I can keep you safe, but I can't be distracted by anything you say or do. If you're coming, you must keep your mouth shut, your eyes dry and your head clear no matter what. And you must only do what I tell you and only when I tell you to. Understood?"

"Yessir," they replied right away.

"Good. Now stay here. Wait five minutes. If we didn't blow up, come join me at the clearing."

"Yessir."

Thames studied them for a heartbeat longer and got out of the Yukon. He circled the truck toward the cliff and a moment later disappeared in the shadows.

Claire squirmed her way to the front seat and found Tom's questioning look. She managed a tight smile.

"I know it's your line, but I'm fine. Don't worry."

Tom turned to look ahead without a word and silence filled the truck.

"At least the seal didn't go off," Claire muttered a whole minute later.

"Yet," Tom grunted.

"Guess we'll soon find out. Gregory's gotta get a little closer to the house before he reaches the clearing."

Another endless minute crawled by.

"He's there," whispered Claire.

Tom glanced at the side mirror. Nothing unusual at Markus' house. The seal hadn't gone off, so chances were Bold Peak would still make it to the next morning without disappearing in a blast of fire.

"Can you sense her, Claire?" he asked, eyes ahead again.

The girl shook her head. "Maybe it's because of Blake. I'm trying so hard not to puke at his vibe that I only sense there's a bunch of people down there with him. And Gregory."

Tom observed her, surprised that she was so calm and focused.

Claire huffed. "You know what?" she said.

Their eyes met for a heartbeat and they jumped out of the Yukon at the same time. They took a moment to secure their weapons, that seemed so useless to face what was down there. However, Tom fastened the quiver across his back and hung Bootter's bow from his shoulder, while Claire secured the wakizashi in the sheathes tied to her legs. They traded another look and headed to the edge of the cliff together.