14

A young man came out of the cottage as Tom and Alex stepped down from the Yukon. He shook their hands, a welcoming smile on his grave face, and invited them in.

The Skagit Elder waited for them in a large bedroom at the ground floor. The walls displayed native paintings and the stone floor was covered with bear furs. A window opened to the lake, opposite to a fireplace cradling a hissing fire. The iron bed against one of the side walls looked more like a bunk. The Elder sat in a rocking chair only a step away from the fire. Tom had explained to Alex that the man was about ninety, and cold had gotten into his old bones, so he hardly left his spot by the fire anymore. The Elder's son waved for them to walk into the room and closed the door behind them.

Only then did the Elder look away from the fire to smile up at him. And it was like love at first sight for Alex. She met his deep dark eyes and instantly felt the same affection she'd always felt for Father Jason.

They approached the rocking chair and Tom leaned in to take the Elder's hand in his. His smile told Alex he felt the same respectful affection the Elder had just inspired in her.

"White Wolf," the Elder said with a creaky voice.

"Elder. It's been a long time," Tom replied, and signaled Alex to come closer.

The Elder smiled wider at her. Tom stepped back, watching Alex shake the Elder's hand. She froze, looking down at their hands together. Her lips parted in a silent exclamation and she turned to Tom.

"It's... wind!" she gasped.

The Elder let out a soft chuckle. "I see you've already taken your first steps," he said.

Alex faced him again and didn't stop to think or ask. She just sat down on the floor in front of him, still holding his hand.

Tom stood where he was, a couple of steps away, while the other two kept looking into each other's eyes and smiling, as if they were talking.
Later on, Alex would tell him that there was no telepathic conversation or anything like that. But as she held the Elder's hand, she felt as if a gust of warm breeze wrapped around her, and all her worries seemed to melt away. Tom tried a step to the door, intending to leave them alone. Both of them looked up at him at the same time. Alex patted the furry rug, for him to sit down by her side. As soon as he did, she rested her spare hand on his leg, as to make sure he wouldn't try to leave again.

Silence lasted for a long moment, until the Elder spoke. "You're readying for battle, young hunter."

Alex nodded, grimacing. "I'm afraid so, Elder. Can you help me?"

"What are you about to face?"

"I'm not sure yet, but they might be demons."

"Don't worry, then. The man in your head will show you the way. He's been waiting for you to do so."

"The man in my head?" Alex repeated, frowning.

"I can't tell you more than that. It's a face without a name."

Did he mean the man in her dream? She didn't get to ask it.

"However, you need to be very careful, young hunter," the Elder said. "The window in your soul is about to open wide to let the power through. But when the power comes in, your soul will have to surrender in order to make room for it. You may get lost in the power, and you wouldn't be yourself anymore."

"Yeah, I know. You warned Tom about it last year, when he asked you about this."

"I did. And he's only grown more concerned about you ever since."

"I know," Alex repeated, a warm smile curling her lips.

The Elder kept his eyes on her, waiting for more questions.

"Tell me, Elder. This energy you call 'power', where does it come from?"

"Think of it as water, young hunter. Water is what it is, but the places it goes can change it. So there's clear, fresh water and there's dirty, poisoned water. The power is all around us. It's energy. You know there are different kinds of energies. Some are good, some are not."

"Can I choose what kind of energy I let in?"

"Yes. But once you open the window in your soul, it remains open. And if you come across an evil power, it may overcome you and use you to act out in the world."

"Is there any way I can help it?"

"It'll depend on the strength of your heart to fight back." A tight smile pursed the Elder's lips. "I dare say you'd break before giving in to such dark power."

"And do I get to choose for how long I channel? I mean, if one day I say 'enough, that's it.' Can I just stop doing it, turn my back on it as if I'd never done it?"

"Sure you can. However, I've never heard of anybody wanting to do such thing. Think of the White Wolf here. He's mastered archery many years ago. Let's say you give him a gun. Would you expect him to throw away his bow because now he has a gun?"

"But ordinary weapons don't turn against those who use them," Alex argued. "My shotgun doesn't hurt me when I pull the trigger. Tom's arrows don't hurt him. Channeling can kill me."

"Oh, but taking a life kills you a little inside every time, just like channeling. If you want to compare it to a weapon, think of it as a blade without a hilt: it'll cut your hands every time you wield it. But if it's the only way to defeat your enemies and protect your loved ones, would you give it up because of your injured hands? Or would you find yourself gloves to keep using it?"

"That's the catch, right? Once I wore the gloves..."

"They start growing thicker until you can't take them off anymore. So your hands are protected. They're not in touch with the hurting blade anymore. But your hands are not your hands anymore. And you can't touch anything else anymore."

Alex sighed. "Then what do I do, Elder?"

The old man smiled, his grave tone softened to reply, "Keep your head clear and the glove in mind, young hunter. Stop before needing it, so it won't part you from the ones you love."

"And what if I can't keep my head clear?"

"Then keep your heart humble to ask for help, like you're doing now."

Alex smiled back at him and he patted her hand before turning to Tom.

"But right now you two are worried about something else. Want to tell me about it, White Wolf?"

Tom produced his handkerchief and gave it to the Elder. "We found it this morning up Ladder Creek," he said.

The Elder unfolded the handkerchief and frowned when he saw the small sample of thick scaled skin.

"She's come down from the mountains?" he muttered.