19

It was pitch black all around and Claire didn't dare to even try a move. The flames blazed up out of nowhere right before her. But she couldn't feel grateful for that source of light, the sharp claw of panic squeezing her belly and her throat.

Then she saw him.

She knew his face. And the freezing sensation choking her at his sight.

He looked at her with bright red eyes and raised a golden goblet dripping blood.

"Game on," he said with a confident smile. "May the odds stay on my side."

In the next room, Alex opened her eyes with a jolt, gasping for air. Just like Harry Bormstone and the Holster brothers in Detroit, two-thousand miles away from Bold Peak. And a dozen more people scattered all over America.

But Alex heard Claire's muffled cry and jumped out of bed. She hurried out of her bedroom in time to see the girl scampering out of hers.

They ran to each other and Alex held Claire tight, feeling her shiver from heads to toes, both of them still panting.

"The man...!" Claire muttered. "I've seen his face!"

Alex closed her eyes, but the fear threatened to escape her dream and overcome her. So she fixed them straight ahead, her mind still lingering on the blurry face with burning red eyes she'd just seen in her sleep. And the face became clearer.

"Ian Blake..." Claire murmured. "I think that's his name. The rich guy from Chicago... But his eyes were red..."

Her words finally got to Alex, who stepped back with a suspicious frown.

"What did you just say? How can you know that?"

Claire's eyes widened. "You... You saw him too?"

"Yeah! Ian Blake. Red eyes. Glass of gold."

"He said something about a game..."

"Game on."

"That. And something more about odds on his side."

Claire met Alex's eyes and both of them felt clearly each other's fear. Alex tried to speak but she was voiceless. She could only hold Claire tight again.

.

.

Keep reading on the next episode: Farewell - GoM 2x2