16

While Ollie worked his magic to send the curious passers-by on their way, Thames redialed the last call on the man's phone.

A voice barked on the other end of the line. "So?"

Thames flashed a tight smile at hearing the upset tone. "Mr. Ritmann, I assume," he said. "This is Gregory Thames. May I speak to your boss?"

A moment later, Blake greeted him. "Greg, how can I help you?"

Thames swallowed the fury that hearing Blake's voice stirred, and managed to sound at least a little sarcastic. "Demon. I'm afraid your little trick at the school went south."

"I see. My bad. The children are fine?"

"Never better, thanks for asking. So what's next, demon?"

"Next? Thought I'd told you: initiation rites for my sweet Alexandra tonight."

"She won't break."

"Won't she. There's always a way around rules, Greg. You should know it."

"Guess we'll see how that plays out tonight."

"We? Are you coming over, Greg? Don't care about triggering my seal anymore?"

"Well, there's always a way around, right?"

Blake chuckled, honestly amused. "That's what I like about you, Greg: you just won't give up. See you later, then." Blake disconnected, scoffing, and gave the phone back to Markus. "No, he just can't give up," he murmured. "He's not like you."

His hand came down to caress Alex's hair. She was kneeling on the rug right by his armchair, the shackles with the iron bar still around her wrists, resting on her lap.

"Am I right, my dear?"

"Yes, my Duke," she replied in a low, dull voice, dead eyes staring blankly ahead.

.

.

This story continues on upcoming Arc Finale: Bottom Deep - GoM 2x7