13

Alex finished her last sigil a few yards away from the bodies of the first runts that had attacked Aidan and Claire. Ignoring the beating he'd taken, Tom still stood near Alex, bow ready, scanning around. She joined him, annoyed at how long it'd taken her to do her part of the line, and they headed for the track that led to the road by the lake.

Claire caught up with them on the track. Alex frowned when she saw her niece was alone, and she frowned even deeper at the blood on the wakizashi.

The girl anticipated her questions. "I'm fine. You done?"

Alex decided it wasn't the time and place to insist, guessing she'd get really pissed at Claire's answers. When they reached the road, they saw Bass and Sean coming down the shoulder from the south. The Holsters and Phil showed up a moment later.

Graham counted heads and let out a heartfelt sigh of relief. "Everybody in one piece?" he asked.

Claire smiled. "Yessir." She saw Graham's concerned look at Tom's bruises and shook her head. "Don't bother asking: he's fine."

Alex left them commenting on what each had faced and called Thames-which spared her from learning that Claire had been the whole while roaming and fighting without proper supervision.

Aidan and Mark approached Tom, who was carefully putting Bootter's bow in its case on the backseat of the Hilux.

"You okay, Tom?" Mark asked, worried.

Tom nodded, locking the case. He looked up and stretched his hand out to Aidan. "Thanks. You saved my life," he said.

Aidan shook his hand, scoffing. "Forget it. I can dare leaving Claire alone. But I'd rather die saving your ass than telling Al something happened to you." He turned to Mark. "You should've seen him, bro. How many did you take down, Tom? Seven, eight?"

"I didn't keep count," Tom replied, embarrassed.

"With nothing but your bow and your knife!" Aidan added, as they joined the others.

Phil came from his truck with his survival six-pack and delivered beers around for them to share. Alex disconnected in time to accept a refreshing cool can.

"Thames says the seal will be up in a few minutes," she said.

"We should hang around and see it come live," Mark said. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing."

Alex flashed a mocking smile. "Then we should share it with our neighbors." She turned to the house, phone to her ear again.

Down the cliff, Markus and the teacher were at the front door, helping the surviving runts in. Markus' phone buzzed and he picked up.

"Nicely played, Al," he grumbled, seeing her at the top of the cliff, raising her beer at him. "But don't make the mistake of thinking you're having the last word in this."

"Chill out, Markus, you sound upset."

"We'll see if you feel like mocking me tomorrow."

"Oh, but it's still tonight. So keep an eye on your windows looking north and enjoy the show."

Markus disconnected, hurrying the last runt into his house, and closed the door, cursing under his breath.

"Look!"

Claire's voice made Alex turn around and join back her friends. They gasped when a line of light ran toward them from the lake, lighting up every rock and tree on its way, the sigils on them glowing. Soon a flickering wall of golden light stretched right by their feet and across the road. From where they were, they saw it run into the woods again toward the old sawmill, and further west, climbing up the hills. There it turned right, to the north, spreading over Bold Peak's western limit all the way to Boulder Creek.

"Wish Ollie was here to see it," Claire muttered. "And Jack too..."

Alex rubbed her back. "Yeah. Well, we are here, kiddo. Alive and together."

Claire nodded, smiling. "You're right."

Alex reached out to grab Tom's hand. His fingers pressed hers , his eyes moving up and down the line of light.

Graham, Bass, Sean and Phil watched with open mouths, still trying to believe their eyes. A couple of steps away, Mark took pictures with his phone.

Aidan's rough laughter made Alex glance back from over her shoulder. He pointed at the house and she spotted Markus behind a window on the second floor, eyes like grapefruits and phone to his ear.

"Go bitch to your boss, douche," said Aidan, still laughing.

Tom looked down when Alex let go of his hand. He saw her go to Aidan's side and toast with him. And he realized that even though he still thought the hunter was an A-class asshole, he wasn't jealous anymore. Mostly because he trusted Alex feelings, and because someone like Aidan would never let his feelings for a woman show, to keep from looking weak. But he had no problem displaying his affection for Alex openly. No matter how odd it was, that deep, strong bond between them would never come in Tom's way to be with Alex.

Meanwhile, the wall of light flickered and waned.

"It's fading," said Claire.

"It means the seal is complete and now it's active all around town," Mark explained. "From now on, it'll only glow again if a demon tries to cross it."

"You mean we did all this to have a perimeter alarm?" asked Sean.

"No. It'll glow while it burns the demon up," Mark replied.

"I like how that sounds," said Phil.

Bass killed his beer and sighed. "I gotta bail, guys."

"Me too," said Graham. "Martha's gonna ban me to the dog's house if I keep coming home late every night." He turned to Bass. "See you in the morning, boy."

"Yeah, us too," said Claire.

"Thanks." Bass shrugged, unable to smile. "I know it sounds stupid, but doing this makes me feel a little better."

"I hear ya," Claire replied with a warm smile. "I like knowing the people we care about are a little safer than yesterday."

All of them headed to their vehicles, exhausted but satisfied. Aidan's phone rang and he picked up, pausing on his way to the Challenger.

Alex and Mark paused too, and traded a look when they heard him say, "Yes, this is Mr. Haggard."

He met his brother's eyes while he listened. Alex approached the Challenger.

"Yes, I know him. Who's this?"

Aidan's alarmed frown was enough for the other two to know something was off.

"Come again? Which hospital?"

"Hospital?" repeated Alex, keeping her voice low.

Mark shook his head, eyes on his brother.

"Thanks for calling. I'm on my way." Aidan disconnected and hurried around the Challenger to the driver seat. "It's Dad," he said to Mark. "He's been just admitted to the ER in Davenport."

"That's where he was working his case!"

"Yep." Aidan opened the Challenger door and turned to Alex. "I'm sorry, Princes, I-"

She cut him off. "Shut up and go! Keep me up."

"I'll call you when we get there," Mark replied.

The Holsters jumped into the Challenger. Aidan started the engine, geared in and hit the gas, rocketing away to everybody's surprise.

Alex set her jaw and went back to the Hilux, feeling what little satisfaction the seal might have brought had gone sour.

Behind the guest-room window, Markus smirked and said on the phone, "It worked, Marla. Thanks."