12

Claire ran out of the house at Thames' cry and froze. Fighting back Blake's revolting aura choking her, she saw Tom curling up on the grass, panting, blood dripping from his mouth and nose. Thames was kneeling by him, looking up at the demon, and the girl's heart sank. Because no matter how powerful the angelic part of Thames was, it was nothing compared to Blake. That was why he needed the Cross. Because maybe--maybe--combining its power with his, he would stand a snowball's chance of beating the Duke of Hell. And both the angel and the demon were well aware of that.

"You have some guts, showing up here," Thames grunted.

"You mean your fancy little shield?" Blake shrugged. "Annoying, I'll give you that. Had to drive here myself to keep my boys from harm. Oh, wait. You mean because you're in town too?" A chill ran down Claire's spine when Blake let out a soft chuckle. "That's why I came here tonight. It's been a while. And I thought thanking you personally was in order."

Tom's anger was pushing the pain back slowly. He tried to move, catching Blake's attention.

"Greg, keep the dog down or I'll kill him."

"No, please!"

Both men turned to watch Claire run to them, dodge Thames and fall on her knees by Tom. She bent over him, both to keep him down and to cover him from Blake.

"Oh, hello there, niece," he said. "Good girl, keep him there and he'll be fine." Blake turned to Thames. "I said I'm here to thank you, right? Well, I do. You've given me the gift of a lifetime, more precious than anything I could've ever fancied."

"Where is she!"

Blaire bit her tongue. Thames tried to sound tough and determined, but it was just a bluff she hoped Blake wouldn't call. Else, the three of them were as good as dead.

"Where? With me, of course. For good."

Claire fell back on her butt when Blake leaned toward Tom. Focused on not passing out, she couldn't quite register what happened next. She saw Blake move his hand right by Tom's face as his lips moved. But he didn't touch Tom, and she couldn't hear what he said.

Tom did hear Blake's whisper: "Exquisite, isn't she." And he recognized the faint smell in Blake's fingers.

Thames saw Tom's gasp as his eyes widened in horror, and stepped up to stand between him and Blake.

Claire felt a little satisfaction when Blake stepped back, hands back to his pockets, keeping the distance.

"Send her back, demon."

"Sure. In five-hundred years, where she's of no use anymore."

"I'll go get her myself."

"And level this pretty little town? You'll only get her killed."

"You think that scares me? I won't let you keep her."

"A little late for that, I'm afraid. So you've worked for centuries and searched the whole word countless times to find someone like her, only to get her and her people killed? Doesn't sound exactly heavenly, if you ask me."

"It is, compared to the slaughter you'll have her do."

Tom and Claire traded a shocked glance. What the hell were they talking about?

"Your call, Greg. We're leaving in two days, after she goes through the rite. You can let us be and keep this town in the map. Else, you know where to find us tomorrow night."

"Us...?" Claire repeated in a thread of voice.

"Your auntie and I, niece. Us. Big things ahead for her."

"I won't let you turn her."

"You and what army, Greg? Kicking your ass is getting so old." Blake looked down at Tom and Claire. "Behave, you two. I'll tell her you said hi."

The three of them watched Blake stroll away, get in the Audi parked behind the Yukon and honk as he drove away. Only when he turned around the corner, Thames crouched down to check on Tom.

"Claire, go get the guestroom ready," he said, feeling Tom's pulse.

As soon as Claire left, Tom grasped Thames arms, mumbling in a sore panting, "Alex..."

"Hush, son. You're damn lucky to be alive."

"Her smell..." Tom insisted.

Thames frowned. "What?"

"His hands..." Tom needed to pause and cough. "His fingers..." His voice broke in a muffled groan that had nothing to do with the physical pain he was in. "His hand smelled of Alex's skin."

It was Thames' turn to let his eyes widen in shock. He looked up at the empty street, his lips moving without a sound.

"Oh, Lord," he muttered. "What have I done..."

Claire came back just in time to see them nod at each other, as if making a silent deal. The girl huffed. Like she wouldn't find out just by having them around.