17

Claire called when Tom and Alex were on their way back to Newhalem, to let them know that she hadn't found a way to kill a Lamia without killing the host. All Old Bootter's books compared Lamias to demons--once they possessed somebody, that person was as good as dead, just a meat suit for the creature to wear.

Alex knew she and Tom were about to having a harsh conversation over Claire's last news. So she waited until they finished lunch and grabbed their beers to go sit outside, at the backyard. There was no subtle way to bring it up, so she didn't try, but she kept her tone as light as she could.

"How long have you known Diane?"

Tom kept his eyes on the river across the backyard, his lips a tight line for a long moment.

"You think she's possessed by the Lamia," he said, statement, not question.

Alex didn't answer and Tom nodded, still avoiding eye contact.

"She's got a bandage on the back of her neck," Alex said. "That could be the Lamia's bite."

Tom let out a frustrated sigh. "Her eyes," he said, lowering his voice. "I saw them turn golden after I brought her down from Ladder Creek. It was but a heartbeat, but they turned golden when she looked at her son." Alex frowned. Tom shook his head, half upset, half annoyed. "And the dead rabbit--strangled. And the blood on her top last night. I know it all figures. But we can't just kill her, Alex. That's murder."

She knew how to push his buttons. "Lamias eat little kids, Tom. If she's possessed, her children are in danger as we speak."

"Not yet, according to what Claire found."

"But soon. And there's no telling when."

Tom stood up and strode toward the river. He stood under the bank trees, his back turned to Alex. Only thinking about sentencing to death this woman he'd known for years made him sick. At least Alex didn't speak or try to come closer to him.

He didn't look back at her, and his voice was an angry growl. "We need to be sure."

"Of course. We can't rush."

When he finally turned around and faced her, Alex saw the wet spark in his eyes. She jumped to her feet and hurried to him. Tom held her tight, hiding his face in her hair.

"I know it sucks," she whispered. "I'm so sorry."

"We gotta be damn sure," he murmured.

"And we can still hope we're wrong."