Prologue

-----------------------

"Such a wonderful child," a man crackled. He stalked around a small child's bed. The child, no older than 4, peacefully sleeping. He smirked and looked above the child, trails of golden sand in shapes of animals visible to his eyes. No sense of pity nor shame were visible in his golden eyes. The same eyes of a monster. "Such a shame that you'll be the first one to test out my new trick"

His finger tips danced around the sand before he plunged them into the center of mass of golden sand. The golden rays suddenly started to turn black, it began spreading throughout the mass like an oil spill, covering the source of light with darkness. The child withered underneath the mass, whimpering and curling up. A smirk was now present on the man's lips, one of satisfaction and accomplishment.

"Ah! It works! Such joy!" He cackles. The child stirs, she turn over as the black mass above them begins to wither as well. The animals that were once golden and soft were now harsh and livid and they seemed to be changing once more. The man stared intensely at the mass, watching it sway and lurch in every way. Was the golden light fighting back? He frowned, he didn't figure it could do that. Suddenly white spots began to form on the mass, spreading slowly, similar to how when his black mass spread. His eyes landed on the child who was no longer withering, her face held a neutral expression instead. A white figure made of sand emerged from the mass of black, it looked similar to the small child. The sand figure moved around the mass like it was examining it. The man stared at the mass, it was like a mirror that exposed children's dreams.

The small figure approached the black mass and stared, it titled its head. A black animal launched at it, missing, but successfully knocked down the figure. The figure stood up and looked at the figure again. The white spots were spreading quickly now, the animal that had launched itself was a mixture of black and white now. The small figure approached the animal and watched in confusion as the animal turned completely white and start to disappear like dust in the wind.

"What going on..?!" The man gasped. His head whipped around the room, trying to see if he could find anything or anyone. There was nothing. He turned back in time to see the rest of his creations turn to white sand and disappear like dust. The child went back to her peaceful slumber, no longer holding a smile nor a frown.

The curtains shifted due to the open window, allowing moonlight to seep in the dark room. The man stared at the bright moon, almost as if he was being talked to. The man glared at the moon and snarled.

"Why do you decide to interrupt me now?" He asks out loud but of course, he wasn't expecting an answer. He never does. He stays silent as he seeps into the darkness underneath the child's bed and leaving.

That was many years ago.

The man cloaked in darkness shoved aside his creations that had rebelled against him not too ago. A whole 4 months to be exact. His creations were definitely more tamed now, despite the occasional one that needed to be put in its rightful place. They could still sense the little fear he has. He waved them off, they obeyed. He seeps into darkness and emerges in a room. Posters littered the walls and there was scattered items on a desk. He grabbed a hold of the curtains and closed them shut. He wasn't going to interrupt him again.

Not this time.

He'd figured that he would of informed the Guardians of his plans by now but that hasn't happen yet. He'll take his chance, he needs to if he wants to prevail this time. His eyes glazed over the teen sleeping on her bed, they looked tired despite being asleep. With a smirk he brought a hand over the girl's forehead and watched her shiver in place. He was amused to say the least, he always enjoyed seeing children wither under his touch. Without him interrupting this time he'll be able to get her before it kicked in.

The girl squirmed, she looked confused despite the nightmares he's been giving her for the past month. A sense of satisfaction engulfed him once he saw how his black sand began to coil around the girl starting at her feet and slowly making its way to her knees. Her girl shifted in her sleep but was stopped mid movement as the sand held her in place.

It was at her waist now, the man smiled. Was this the moment he's been waiting for? The chance to finally get rid of those pesky Guardians? He let out a chuckle as he watched the sand pin her arms in place and engulf them. Her breathing was still even, she wasn't panicking at all. She was still confused yet she was still fast asleep.

The sand wrapped around the base of her neck.

From her neck down she began looking like a mummy. Her body was pinned down by the tar like sand as he watched her start struggling.

She was still asleep.

He peeked through the curtains, the moon was shining brightly. The moon spoke to him but the man merely laughed.

"Not so tough when you can't see what's going on, ey?" He mocked. A sudden blast of cold air sailed through the air, and in an instant the man knew what that meant. He looked out the window and saw a winter spirit in the distance. The spirit was rapidly making his way over to him, staff in hand and determination written all over his face. The man shot a glare at the moon, "You couldn't just keep your mouth shut, could you?"

Should he wait until the sand had a complete grasp on her or should he leave and not take the risk of getting caught? Decisions decisions. A blast of ice started him and he decided that running was a good idea. He called back his sand making the girl let out a gasp of air and quickly jumped out the window. He ran off into the park where it connected to the woods, it'll be completely dark there. He'll have the advantage then. Another blast of ice stopped him in his tracks and he looked up at the spirit holding his staff towards him.

"Ah, fancy meeting you here Jack," the man mocked. Jack tighten his hold on his staff before answering the man.

"What are you doing here Pitch?" Jack smirked before adding to his statement. "Did you want another beating?"

"Don't flatter yourself, I was just leaving," Pitch said before slipping away.

"Hey! Get back here!" Jack yelled after Pitch and chased him down, sending blast after blast of ice behind the Nightmare King. He managed to keep up with him as Pitch fled into the woods. He followed closely behind until he couldn't see, it was far too dark now. His chest heaved with every gasp of air, he was reaching his limit. He growled, he'll need to leave soon or he'll being out of commission for awhile. The winter spirit brought his hand up to face and saw how it was starting to fade and drip. With a huff he jumped into the skies and flew off to colder climates.

From the shadows emerged the Nightmare King, standing tall and proud as if he had won. Sure he won, but by default. His eyes traveled back to the girl that had somehow made her way to the park where he was at. Could she be anymore stupid? He followed behind her, rustling bushes and snapping twigs in order to feed off her fear. How he enjoyed others' suffering.

As the girl neared street lights he watched in enjoyment as she bean running away in fear. Fear of what, she wasn't so sure herself. So close, she was so close to his grasps that he could feel victory within his veins. He watched in amusement as the girl ran into her home and locked herself in her room. A chuckle escaped his throat as he slipped into the shadows and appeared in her room. The girl was hidden under her covers. Just like a scared child. He neared the girl, summoned his sand and watched it slither in the air besides her. He clutched his hand, a way of ordering the sand to surround her, the sand followed.

"What..?" The nightmare gasped as the sand turned to dust before his eyes and floated off into the air, disappearing into the air like mist. "No... No. No!"

He growled as his extended arm began to ache in pain, it too slowly began to get white spots. The spots looked like glitter on his grey arm, they felt like pins and needles on his arms. He retracted his arm and hissed. He took too long, he blew his chance. His scowl was soon replaced with a smug grin. But that no problem for him.

He always has tomorrow.