Chapter 17

I'm exhausted.

Not because of the fact that we've been practicing non stop for the past week or so.

It wasn't because I had to also put extra effort into my studies because of my mid term failure.

Neither was it because I had been avoiding and been avoided by more than enough people.

Nah it was none of the reasons.

It was because I was tired of pretending I was okay, tired of smiling and joking with Nessah, tired of ignoring the murmuring and questioning looks every time Juwon passed without mentioning a word to me, I was tired of it all.

People were too freaking dramatic, for God's sake this is Nigeria not some American high school movie.

"Kayla! The match is about to start."
Nessa's voice jerked me out of my musings.

I blinked at her, "what?"

"Water and garri, can you please concentrate?" She snapped at me , gesturing from our front row seats towards the field.

I rolled my eyes and muttered to myself, "can you please swallow a chill pill."

"Sorry?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Nothing."

"Thought so." Her eyes went back to the field.

Witch.

So yeah today was the first day of the football tournament, my house Red house against Purple house. It was going to be easy, their players were pansies compared to ours.

I followed Nessa's eyes  towards the field, to where the players were going through drills because the match was about to start.

Juwon was talking to his other teammate, Sam and the captain, Tomi were talking through some things.

One hated me, one was angry at me, the last one was...was...I don't know.

I sighed, this much drama wasn't good for anyone, can't we all just be friends and sing kumbaya?

Suddenly Tomi turned and waved towards us, and my heart, my stupid disloyal heart, stopped for a second until I saw him mouth 'Nessa'
Of course.

I tapped the girl who was looking down at her phone,
"What?" She said not looking up.

"I think Tomi needs you."

She looked up and saw him waving at her.

"Oh okay thanks" She stood up and quickly jogged over to him.

I snickered , what were you thinking girl, that Tomi wanted to do what? After what you did, get over yourself Kayla.

"Get over yourself." I muttered to myself.

"Kayla!" I looked up in time to see Nessa throw a jersey in my face.

"Help me quickly give this to Tomi, I need to get the other one from the class."