Chapter 26

There's nothing as perfect as sitting on your balcony on a particularly breezy afternoon , a cup of cold Milo on the table, a plate of toast beside it with Majid Jordan crooning in your ear and a good book in front of you.

It was the best way to deal with the boredom of a Saturday afternoon.

I watched the children from the house opposite house play in their compound, their laughter a perfect little sound track.

Heck there was even light, so there were no noisy generators.

It felt so peaceful and tranquil, I don't think anything could spoil the...

"Kayla!"

I groaned and and covered my face with my book.

""Kayla! Oluwadamilola ohhh"

I cursed, I just had to jinx myself.

Standing up, I shouted back, "I'm coming mummy."

I quickly ran downstairs to the kitchen, where my mother was presently sitting by the kitchen table, her glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose, as she glanced through her phone.

On noticing me, she looked up at me her eyes drilling into me, "didn't you hear me calling you before?"

"Sorry I was upstairs on the balcony." I said vaguely gesturing towards the location of the balcony.

My mum hissed, "is that how when your mother in law will be busy in the kitchen, you'll be on the balcony."

I quickly looked around the kitchen, you know to gauge how busy the mother was, from my findings,

She was not.

Well unless you call scrolling through WhatsApp busy.

She shook her head, "I trained you well oh."

I sighed, "yes mummy."

She hissed again then stretched her hand to me, "take."

I moved to take the paper in the hand, quickly glancing through it, I knew I was on the way to the market.

"Tell Iya Bolu that the last pineapple she gave me wasn't good, and if you like buy rubbish plantain like last time."

"It was dark." I put in.

"Gbenu e dake! (Keep shut or shut up your mouth) See your mouth like it was dark." She hissed, "will you go and buy what I said you should go and buy."

I wrinkled my face in confusion, "but the driver is not around."

She blinked, "so?"

I took a deep breath, "how will I go."

My mother sighed, "it's a pity, o ti baje ju (you are too spoilt), look at you."

"Jesus Christ." I murmured under my breath.

"Can't you take a public transport, or you're now too big a girl to take okada(another name for a motorbike used as a means of public transportation) "