Chapter 42

Sometimes I forget.
I forget that I'm just seventeen.
I forget that I have a long way to go
I forget that I've only just begun
I forget that we're only just seventeen year olds who should be focused on trivial frivolous things.

But the world is a thief who preys on the innocent.
Who steals the pure
Maims the helpless
And turn us all into people we don't recognize.

My heart felt heavy watching her speak, as the tears fell from her eyes, my heart broke in turn.
I didn't know what to say to her.
I didn't know how to advice her.
What should I have said?

What can I say to a girl who has given her heart to a boy who is going to die?

Her wretched eyes turned to me and she whispered, "Kayla what do I do? I know we're not friends anymore and I don't deserve..."

I immediately walked up to her and grabbed her hands, "Nessa understand one thing and one thing only, you will always be my friend, nothing can change that, definitely not an argument and not a small spat."

Nessa looked at me, then nodded, her eyes red from all the tears.

I sat her down in an empty class, and I knew I was practically going to miss my first period but Nessa came first.

Sitting on the desk in front of her, I took her hands in mine and waited for her to compose herself.

When she was calm enough to speak coherently, I touched her arm, "so what exactly happened ?"

She sniffed and rubbed her nose into the tissue I had previously given her, "Well, I went to his place over the break, just as it was ending actually, we had this huge fight, he was being so cold and unreachable and it's a way he has been for a while and I just thought he lost interest in me , in fact I was going to break up with him until he told me he had cancer, he showed me the medical report." Her voice broke as she narrated the story, "Kayla he cried , I saw the tears fall from his eyes onto my hands, he even begged me to leave him and that he didn't want to hurt me. Seeing him like that? It broke me."

"Nessa," I started gently, "you know that you don't have to do this."

She looked confused, "do what?"

I took a breath, "you don't have to be with him."

She shook her head, "I don't understand, how can I leave him at this period when he needs me the most?"

"Frankly speaking," I started crossing my arms, "he doesn't need you, and you're barely seventeen, you are not equipped to deal with this kind of thing and it's okay, you're allowed to put your mental well being first."

Nessa blinked, "what are you saying? If Tomi had cancer what would you do?"

The pain that struck me just merely thinking of that scenario shocked me, a world where Tomi left me was a world I didn't want be in.
I'd do anything to save him.
Even if it meant losing myself.

I sighed, "okay, you have a point, but are you sure it's not just pity."

Nessa shook her head, "I don't feel bad, I just want to love him and make him feel better."

I nodded, "okay how do you plan to do that? What stage of the cancer is he in? Has the cancer spread to his lymph nodes or any other parts of his body? What are his treatment options? What is the expected timeline of his treatment? What are the long term or short term side effects? What symptoms is he going to face? And what is his chance of recovery?"