Chapter 46

For the first time in my life, I felt light.
Like balloon light.
Like happiness light.
Maybe it's because I finally told Tomisin.
Maybe it's because I finally felt like I was moving on.
Maybe it's because I just took a shit.

Either way, I was happy.

Happiness.

That wasn't a word I usually used with myself, it wasn't a word I would associate with myself, it wasn't a word I have ever associated with myself .

But
I was happy.
My feet seemed to bounce as I moved to the assembly hall, before I knew it i started skipping and did a quick twirl.

"What is wrong with this one?"

I ignored Toyosi's nasally voice from behind me, she could hate me all she wanted.
That was her business.

I kept an eye out for Nessa, we were supposed to go for assembly together.
On realizing she was nowhere to be found, I shrugged and made my way alone.
Someone bumped into me, reaching out I grabbed the culprit to steady myself. The junior girl after looking up and realizing it was me, widened her eyes in fear.
"I'm so sorry ...I didn't know." She squeaked.

I smiled at her.
"Oh it's fine darling, in fact I should apologize, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going."

"Who are you and what have you done with Kay?" I rolled my eyes at Dayo who had just joined me.

"What are you trying to say?" I said letting out a laugh.

"I think what Dayo is trying to say is that you're being nice." Michelle who was with her put in.

"I'm always nice!" I insisted with a smile.
"Yeah and I've always been a man!" Ini quirkily added, her eyes lighting up in laughter.

Just a minute ago I was by myself, and now I'm surrounded by four amazing girls.
I felt so lucky.

"Are you ready for your manifesto?" Michelle asked me.

Ugh
Ever since the school decided it would be best for the students to vote for their head girl and head boy, my life had been miserable.

Especially because the candidates the school picked to run was Toyosi and I.
Normally I'd bow out and give the opponent the win.
But there was no way I was going to let Toyosi beat me.

I smirked at Michelle, "born ready."

After the usual assembly proceedings, Dayo climbed up the stage stage and took over from the principal.

"Good morning everyone, give it up for the candidates going for the head prefect male and female."

A series of claps of whistles ensued.

"Because we are in a rush we going to head right into it, starting with the candidates for head prefect male."

We all clapped as the first candidate made his way to the stage.
As I watched them make their case I wish I could say I was nervous.

But I wasn't.

I was strangely confident in myself, I knew I would excel at this.

"Okay now we are going to start with the candidates running for the head prefect female, can Toyosi please come up." Dayo said.

I rolled my eyes at Michelle sitting beside me, while she chuckled.
I listened to her drone on and on about stupid things, and as she said nonsense I felt my confidence increase.

"Please can we quickly share the newsletters I just proposed?" Toyosi suddenly interjected.

I raised my eyebrow at Michelle, who shrugged in reply.