Chapter 47

White noise
Black pain
Red tears

The rendering of a heart
The scarring of a face.
The loss of a love.

Words seemed to crash in my head, swirling, confusing and non stop.

I looked down at the news letter in my hand , and felt the whole world around me fade into black.

I looked up and saw the stares of the people around me, their looks felt like bricks that kept on being flung on to me.

I couldn't even look at Michelle sitting beside me, her shock and pity did not need my eyes to notice.
It came off her in intense waves.

I should have known.
Every time I feel happy, every time I feel like the world is giving me a break.
The world reminds me that I cannot enjoy it, that it cannot last.
That I was born for pain.
And so that is all that I'll be.

Toyosi was still talking about how I was a survivor , how she respects me and how she will fight on behalf of victims like me, if she was given a chance to be head girl.

Anger like I had never felt before swelled up inside me, and mental images of her beaten bloody bruised face ran through my head.

"Okay that's enough from you." Dayo said grabbing the microphone from her, "get your ass back to your seat."

Toyosi sauntered off the stairs and right past me throwing a smug smile my way.

The anger turned into pure unadulterated rage.

I knew it was supposed to be my turn to give my manifesto, I knew they were all looking to me, to see if I was going to be brave and make my speech anyway.

I ran away.

It was all I was good for anyway.

As I sat in my empty class, the questions began pouring into my head.

How did Toyosi find out?

Only two people knew, and those two people would have never told her.
Unless they told someone close to them.
And who was equally close to the both of them and had a vendetta against me?

Sam.
I should have known that bastard would never change. I should have known that he was lying.
Could Tomi have told Sam?
No.
I was sure.
He would never do that to me.
Nessa wouldn't have either.
I put my head in my hands and struggled not to cry.
God it hurt so much.
I was so tired of hurting.

The sound of people's voices pulled out of my deep thoughts,  Standing up I waited for the culprit to enter her class.
Right on time, Toyosi walked in, her steps laced with a tint of victory.

Right behind were a bunch of my classmates, some of my friends, heck even Moyin  was there
Waiting for the victim to break.

Well I'd show them.

Immediately Toyosi saw me, the smug smile went back in place and she walked to stand in front of me.

Tillting her head to the side, she mockingly gave me a pitying look, "babe are you okay? Did I mistakenly trigger memories of your trauma?"

Someone said, "ah ah now."

Toyosi looked back while chuckling, "I'm not doing anything bad oh."

"Who told you about what happened?" My quiet voice caught her attention and she looked back at me.

Toyosi snickered, "Nawa oh, why are you now doing silent and deadly, it's not like..."

Moyin stepped forward behind her, "I swear to God Toyosi, if you don't start talking I'll get over there and..."