Everyone deserves their first kiss to be special

Watching Damon and Jasmine just added to my insecurities. I knew I would never measure up, and even better, I got to sit through lunch watching them. Thank god I had school and my tutoring sessions to focus on now.

Luka and I sat on my bed while we went over the history, and he seemed like he was getting it. God, I hope he was.

As I was explaining things to him, I wasn't entirely paying attention until he leaned over and pressed his lips to mine, taking me by surprise. He placed a hand on the back of my head and kissed me tenderly. Honestly, I didn't know what to do, so I just followed his lead. Never having kissed anyone before, it was a little awkward.

Our lips fell in sync, and I started to get the hang of it, finally kissing him back. It was a fantastic kiss. He pulled away and looked at me. His blues eyes meeting my hazel, then said, "I've got to go."

Wait. What? He quickly gathered his books and left. I sat there utterly confused. That wasn't how this was supposed to go. In movies, when the guy kisses someone, they usually stay and tell you they like you. In real life, the leave, which made me so confused.

******
"You kissed her," Niko exclaimed, standing in Luka's bedroom.

"Yeah."

"Then, you left."

"Yep."

"Why?"

"Because, well, I don't know," he said.

Niko gave him a look before they heard his mom call from downstairs, "Niko! Your father is here!"

Luka looked at Niko, who groaned.

"Why don't you tell her you don't want to go?"

"Because I'll just get forced to go anyways," he sighed.

Luka gave him a look, "Please, Luka. Don't say anything. If Joe finds out, he'll make it worse."

"Niko, you know my dad loves you and would do anything to help you."

"Yeah, but that's the problem. Joe knows it. Look, promise me, you won't tell."

"Fine. But if that piece of shit lays one hand on you again, I will visit the asshole," Luka said.

"Thanks, Luka."

They headed downstairs until they came face to face with the local deputy and Niko's dad.

"Ready," he asked, and Niko nodded. As they left, Luka looked at Maria, and she frowned.

******
Niko and the deputy walked into the house, and he went straight to his room that he had there. He closed the door and sat on his bed, sighing. He hated being here. He also knew when the darkness came, so did the horrors. How he wished Luka was here.

Luka as a tough nut when they first met. They didn't exactly get along until Luka found out what was going on then he became a protective brother. Same with Damon. They looked out for him and protected him. When Joe found out he almost beat Niko's dad to the point he put him in the hospital, but it was always he said, he said sort of thing.

He sat there and thought, only a few more months until he turned eighteen, and he would never have to come back here again. He was counting down the days.

As the nighttime came, so did the terror he felt grip his chest. His door opened, and there stood his dad.

"Take off your clothes," he ordered. He stood and complied, knowing to do it the easy way would keep the beatings away. "Crawl into bed."

Niko climbed in and turned to face the wall. As his dad climbed in, he could smell the alcohol on his breath as it fans his cheeks. Even though he joked about drinking, he refused to touch a single drop because of his dad.

He laid there as his dad went to work, clenching his eyes shut. He didn't want to see him. He didn't wish to remind of what he endured every time he came here.

After his dad finished he passed out. That was Niko's cue to get up as quietly as he could without waking the old man. He grabbed his clothes and left. By morning when the old man awoke, he would find an empty bed like he did every single time. He wouldn't come looking for him. He knew better.

Niko made his way to Damon's house and climbed up to his window. He tapped on the window. Damon got up and sleepily made his way to the window, opening it up.

"Again?"

He nodded as he climbed through the window. Niko sat down on the bed as Damon pulled a cigarette from the pack on his desk. He lit it and took a drag, "Niko."

"Don't tell Luka. Please. He thinks it stopped," he begged him.

Damon walked over and took a seat next to him, "Niko."

"Damon just a few more months. Please. Can I sleep with you tonight?"

Niko looked like a child at that moment.

"Yeah, crawl in, Niko. I'll protect you," he said as Niko felt a sense of relief wash over him. Damon put out his cigarette and climbed in and wrapped his arms around him as Niko snuggled into him.

"Thanks, Damon."

"No worries. Go to sleep. You're safe now," Damon said as he laid down and fell asleep.

*****
The next morning Damon awoke with Niko snuggling into him. He did this every time he spent the night. Damon didn't mind. He liked how his lean body fit perfectly into his.

A few minutes later, Abby opened the door. Damon put his fingers to his lips, signaling a still sleeping Niko. Damon maneuvered out from Niko's grasp and left the room.

"Damon."

"Abby, it happened again."

"You need to tell Luka."

"I promised I wouldn't."

"But he needs to know."

"Just a little bit longer. After Niko turns eighteen, he has done with him," Damon said.

"Damon, this isn't right."

"I know but what do you want me to do?"

She sighed.

"Do me a favor and let Jas know."

"Fine, but at some point, she is going to get tired of pretending she's you're fake girlfriend. And what about Malia?"

"What about her?"

"Don't you think she is going to be more upset to know you're lying to her?"

"Malia doesn't need to know, and I would like to keep it that way."

"Fine. But don't say I didn't warn you," Abby said to him as she walked away.

He went back into the bedroom and climbed back into bed with Niko who was still sleeping. He waited until Niko's eyes fluttered open.

"Morning."

"Morning," he yawned.

"How'd you sleep?"

"Better."

"Good," he said.

Niko snuggled up to him, "Damon?"

"Hmm."

"You promise you won't tell, will ya?"

"I promise."

"Good."

Niko wrapped his arms around him and snuggled into him as Damon allowed him. It burned him the way Niko had to endure what he did every time he went over there. All he wanted to do was keep him safe.

He also knew if Luka found out, the deputy would be dead. Damon had a scary side but nothing like Luka's when he got pissed. That would be Luka's undoing to know Niko was hurt again. For that he needed to keep his promise.