Time to investigate with a little help

So much for a romantic getaway. We ended up calling others to the cottage. I knew if we did this at home, I would get a lecture to stay out of it and let the police handle it. That wasn't going to happen.

"Are you fucking nuts?" Niko squealed.

"How am I nuts?"

"You honestly want to hunt a serial killer?" He asked me.

"Not hunt as so much as figure out his identity and have dad arrest him."

"I'm with Niko on this one, Detroit. As much as I would love to do a little ass-kicking, I treasure not being on the receiving end," Damon said.

I shook my head at them, "Look, if we don't do this, we might be next and no offense, but I would like to grow up and marry Luka someday."

They all looked at me, and I patted Luka's chest, "I said someday, not today. Relax."

"Okay, let's say we do figure this out, that still doesn't explain if it's connected to the previous killings," Jasmine added.

"Good point. But there has to be some rhyme or reason why after all these years, killings started again, and I think it starts with Luka's mom."

While we went back and forth, Abby said, "Actually, I think she has a point."

"Were you dropped on your head as a baby?" Damon asked.

"No, but mom said you were."

"That explains so much," Niko said, earning a glare from Damon.

"I'll drop you on your head if you don't shut the fuck up."

"Testy, damn," he said.

"Guys! It is getting us nowhere if you both keep bickering like an old married couple," I said to them, earning a snicker from Luka. I looked at Luka, "Not now."

"So, where do we start?" Abby said, turning the conversation back to the matter at hand.

"We need to find a link between the killings before and the killings now."

"Are you thinking both are connected?" Jasmine asked.

"Possibly. I mean that was about eight years ago when it happened the first time, the only difference is the original killer didn't stray from who his victims were. This one did. The question is, why? When we find out the why, then we find out the who," I said to them.

I knew it was a dangerous game to play, but I needed to find out who was behind this once and for all. Fear is something we create in our minds to explain what scares us. It can be as simple as a tree, heights, or even clowns. But it all starts with one thing, someone usually plants the seed, and from there it grows.

I didn't want my fear of the unknown to stop me from living, not when I have too much to live for or love, not this time.

*******
Once Christmas break was over, we returned to school. We formulated a plan. First, we needed access to records. Who better than Niko? With his dad murdered, his dad's house sat dormant until it could cleanout. Being the deputy, we figured he had to have files lying around somewhere.

All of us came up with a concrete lie for our parents. Well, not exactly a lie, more like omitting a few details. Okay, it was a lie, but still, it bought us some time. After school, the six of us headed to Niko's dad's house. We all pulled into the driveway and got out of the house.

"Can I say, I hate coming here?" Niko said.

"Duly noted," I said.

He unlocked the door, and we all went inside the house. I looked around a typical bachelor pad. Messy and empty beer bottles lying around the house. All of us split up, searching rooms and closets. Henry had to keep some files around here.