A promise is forever: A Christmas Chapter

Luka and the rest of the guys, including our fathers, packed up for their hunting trip. Who the heck goes hunting around Christmas and my birthday? Oh, that's right, my idiot boyfriend and my equal idiot father.

Christmas Eve came, and I was lying on my bed. Happy freaking birthday to me. Eighteen, big deal. Not even my mother wished me a happy birthday.

Well, since I was pretty much alone, I decided to go downstairs and grab a cupcake. I walked into the kitchen and opened the plastic container then pulled out one single cake. I searched the drawers until I found candles. I pulled out one and placed it in the middle, then took it to the table.

I sat down in front of it and lit the candle. I held up the cupcake and said, "Since everyone forgot, I might as well sing to myself. Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear Malia, happy birthday to me."

I held the cupcake and looked at it, "Yeah, happy birthday to little old me. It looks like it's just you and me, cupcake."

I stared at it as I heard someone whisper in my ear, "Maybe you should make a wish and blow out the candle."

My eyes widened, and I turned to see Luka's face close to mine, "Happy birthday, giggles."

"I thought you were hunting," I said.

"Who the hell goes hunting around Christmas?"

I opened my mouth then thought about it, "Honestly, I don't know."

"Blow out your candle and follow me," he said. I blew out my candle, and he yanked me from my chair. I dropped my cupcake on the floor.

"Luka! That was a perfectly good cupcake!"

He led me into the living room and turned on the lights as everyone yelled, "Surprise!!!!"

My mouth dropped open in surprise, and I laughed. "You guys!"

"Honey, did you think your mom and I would forget your birthday?"

"Well, yeah."

"Oh, Mal, only you," he chuckled as he leaned over and kissed my head.

Everyone wished me a happy birthday, and dad had pizza delivered to the house. As we ate, Luka turned to me, "I have something for you."

"You do?" I asked for a mouth full of pizza.

He chuckled, "Yep."

I turned to face him, and he pulled out a small black velvet box out of his pants. He looked aa the table as he spoke, "I wanted to give you something special. I know when we first met, things weren't exactly smooth. You know, with you bumping into me and all."

I had to laugh.

"But over time, I got to know you and realized that sometimes, you could be a bit weird."

I gave him a look, "Um, thanks?"

He smiled, "But in a good way. Malia, you make me happy and in a lot better mood when you're around me."

"Ain't that the truth," Niko yelled, causing everyone to laugh and Luka to shoot him a glare.

"Anyway, I wanted to give you something special," he said, opening the box, and inside was the most beautiful ring. "I wanted to promise to always be with you no matter what, and I wanted to promise you forever. Will you promise me forever and accept my promise ring?"

I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck and whispered, "I promise." He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me tight.

"I love you, Malia."