Awkwardness at its best

After the kiss, Luka and I shared I didn't know how to feel. I had all these questions about it and no answers. It didn't help when I decided to approach him, and he wasn't having a good day.

Luka was standing at his locker when I walked up to him, "Hey, Luka."

"Hey."

"So, you're still coming over for the tutoring session, right?" I figure if he came over, we could discuss what happened, or maybe it might happen again.

"No. I got shit to do," Luka said, tossing some books into his locker.

"Oh."

"Look, Malia, I've got to go," he said, cutting me off before I had a chance to say anything. I watched him leave. Okay, maybe I was horrible at the kiss. Perhaps it was a mistake. Maybe just maybe it wasn't me. I knew that it was, though, and that's what's bothered me.

*******
After my encounter with Luka, I tried to keep what I said to him limited. I spoke to everyone but kept talking to him a minimum.

At lunch, I played with my food once again.

"Aren't you going to eat?" I heard a voice say to me.

"What?"

"You're food. You're just playing with it," Luka said, and I looked up to see everyone looking at me.

"Oh, um, I had a big breakfast," I lied. The truth was I didn't eat. I was too busy rearranging things in my bedroom.

He gave me a look, and I shrugged - not his problem, not his concern.

After school, I started for home when he pulled up beside me, "Get in."

"Huh?"

"Get in."

I sighed and opened the car door and climbed inside. Once I closed the car door, he peeled out of the parking lot like a freaking nut. Today I was going to die. Well, I hope I wasn't going to die.

He pulled up to a diner and got out. He nodded for me to follow. I got out of the car and followed him into the restaurant like a puppy dog. We sat down in a booth, and he ordered some food. I just sat there.

When the food arrived, he placed it in front of me, "Eat."

"I thought you got this for you?"

"No. Now eat. You didn't eat at lunch," Luka said, sitting across from me with no expression. I just did what told me. Luka didn't strike me as the type you wanted to disobey.

I dug into the hamburger and let the tasty fill my mouth. Luka watched me as I ate. Disturbing if you ask me. After I finished my burger, I was full to the max.

"Satisfied now?" I asked

"Very," Luka answered.

"So, about the other night."

"What about it?" He looked at me intently. Geez, talk about making someone extremely uncomfortable.

"Well, um, the kiss," I stammered, trying to figure out what I wanted to say.

"Spit it out."

"Well, did you like it?" I asked, looking at him, trying to figure out what he was thinking.

He rubbed his chin a bit, deep in thought before adding, "Eh, it was okay. Had better." My heart sank. No, it was terrific. No, it was beautiful. No, I would like to kiss you again. I watched as he turned and stared out the window.