Cat and mouse

I was heading out to meet Luka when I felt like someone was watching me. I stopped and looked around my surroundings. Talk about creepy. I walked, looking around, thinking I caught something out of the corner of my eye until I ran into someone, "Oomph."

They caught me as I dropped my books. I sighed, picking them up, "Sorry, Taylor."

"No, biggie," he said, helping me pick up my books.

We stood, and he asked, "Have you seen Niko around anywhere?"

"Not since lunch. Why?"

"I've been trying to get ahold of him, but he hasn't exactly been available," he said.

"I think he's tied up with a project."

"Oh."

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll get ahold of Niko soon."

"I sure hope so."

"I got to go. Luka is waiting for me."

"Okay. See you around, Malia."

"Later, Taylor," I said as I walked away. Okay, I got to calm down, or my OCD is going to go into overdrive. As I head towards the doors, someone in a black hoodie, peered around the corner. I stopped and turned but saw no one there. Then a cold shiver ran down my back.

As I was making my way to Luka, I saw Simon watching me. That dude still gives me the creeps. I tried not to make eye contact.

Then I ran into Patrick.

"It's Malia, right?"

"Yeah. You're Patrick. The guy that delivered the flowers to me."

"Yeah."

We talked for a few minutes before I excused myself. Patrick walked away, and I made my way to Luka. When I finally reached him, he was already in the car.

I leaned over and kissed him, "Sorry, I'm late."

"Dare I ask what took you so long?"

"Well, I ran into Taylor, causing me to drop my books. Plus, he was asking about Niko. Then I ran into Patrick, figuratively."

"What did he want?"

"He asked about Abby."

He just rolled his eyes as he drove off. I had to laugh. When we got to my place, we got out and went inside the house. We were bantering back and forth when we entered.

"Good day?" Mom asked.

"Yeah. It was okay."

"Luka, are you staying for dinner?"

"Yeah, sure," he said, and mom went back into the kitchen. While Luka stayed for dinner, dad, Charlie, and Joe were shifting through the evidence.

"Gabe, what's up with you? You've been on edge the last few weeks," Charlie asked.

"It's a Mal."

"Something wrong?" Joe asked.

"I don't know. It may be nothing. Malia thinks the murders that happened eight years ago might be connected to the murders now," Dad said.

"Didn't that old man confess to them? What was his name? Crenshaw."

"No, you dink. The police tried to get a confession, but ultimately Crenshaw was innocent," Joe said.

"Which reminds me, why was Gale here that summer?" Charlie asked.

"She told me it was to have some time with her friends, but Claire was already in New York, and Missy was in Detroit. I figured it was to see Henry."