Fallout

My eyelids fluttered open. I looked around to see monitors and a bag hooked up to an IV. I shifted, and that's when I winced in pain. The last thing I remember is Luka pulling a knife out of my leg, and everything else is pretty fuzzy. These are some significant pain meds.

"Mal?"

I looked around, and dad leaned over, "Hey, sweetheart."

"Dad," I croaked. My throat was dry. "Where is everyone?"

"Outside. You want me to get everyone?"

"Actually, can you get Luka?"

"Sure."

Dad left and sent Luka into my hospital room. He strolled over to me with his hands in his pockets. He pulled out his hands and picked up my hand.

"Hey," I whispered.

"Hi," Luka said.

"What's wrong?"

"A lot."

I furrowed my eyebrows. That can't be good.

"You're breaking up with me, aren't you?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"What? No!"

"Really?" I asked, trying to calm down.

"Yeah. There have been other things going on at the moment."

"Like what?"

He leaned over and kissed me on the lips, "I'll tell you what. First, you get out of here and settle at home, and I will fill you in on everything you missed since you've been out for the past three days," he said.

"Three days! What the hell?" I groaned.

"Yeah, you were pretty funny when you were all high and shit," he chuckled.

I sighed and glared at him, "You just wait."

"Yeah, okay, gimpy," he smirked.

I yawned, and Luka let me get some rest. I knew at some point, I would get the answers I wanted, but right now, I just wanted to see the inside of my eyelids.

******
While I was in the hospital, dad, Charlie, and Joe were tying up loose ends.

Dad and Charlie walked into the sheriff's station.

"Can I help you?" The secretary asked.

They both flashed their badges, "Nope, we are here to do our job," Dad said as they walked to the sheriff's office.

"Lieutenant and detective," the sheriff greeted them.

"Sheriff Wilkins, I need you to stand," Dad said.

He did as Dad told him. "What's this about?" The Sheriff questioned.

"Sheriff, you are under arrest for conspiracy to commit murder, evidence tampering, obstruction of justice, and accessory to after the fact. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say or do can and held against you in court. You have the right to an attorney; if you can't afford one, one appointed to you. Do you understand these rights that I have read to you?" Dad said.

The sheriff nodded, "Good, let's go." They walked out with the sheriff handcuffed, causing everyone to watch in shock.

Joe visited Abe Crenshaw and arrested him for aiding and abetting a murderer, obstruction of justice, and tampering with evidence.

They ended up arresting anyone that was involved with the killings one way or another. After the arrests made, they had to go in front of the IA of a formal investigation. It happens anytime an officer fires their weapon.