Curiosity almost killed the cat

So, remember when my dad said to stay out of things? Yeah, I never listen. This concept has gotten me more into trouble than I care to admit.

Over the weekend, we took a drive up to Leland. Luka and I were going to visit Abe Crenshaw. We pulled into his driveway and got out of the car. Both of us walked up to the front door, and Luka knocked on it. It took a few minutes, but he answered the door.

"Luka."

"Hey, Mr. Crenshaw, we were wondering if we could talk to you?"

He gave us a stern look, "About what?"

"Something that happened eight years ago," I said.

He looked at us, and we looked at him.

"You mean the murders?"

Okay, so the guy was a little blunt.

"Yeah," Luka answered him.

"Come in." We walked in, and he closed the door. He led us to the kitchen, and we took off our coats then sat down. He made us each a cup of hot cocoa. He joined us shortly afterward.

"You know you're the first people that wanted to know about what happened here."

"Didn't you talk to the press?" Luka asked him.

"Briefly until the cops stopped me. They even dared to accuse me of killing that poor woman. I ain't never touched anyone."

"So, what can you tell us about them?" I asked, sipping my hot cocoa.

"It started the summer of 2005."

Flashback summer of 2005

I was working out in my yard when a car pulled into your family cottage. I saw a woman get out and recognized her as Gale Bennett. I thought it was odd that she was alone. Usually, she came with your father or at least with you.

I didn't think anything of it. Later that night, I heard arguing, and things are breaking. I looked out my window to listen to it coming from the cottage. Then I saw a young guy leave. He seemed pretty upset.

I thought maybe your father came up and they had an argument. So, I went about my business until I heard another car pull up. It was pretty late, so I stepped out of the house and saw it was a late model blue sedan. I watched as a guy got out dressed in a black hoodie, black pants, and black boots.

I figured he was going to rob the place, so I called the police. They just thought I was crazy. Said nothing ever happens in Leland. Then I heard a scream. I dropped the phone and ran out to see a guy running from the cottage. I hid behind some bushes, and he looked around the area.

He didn't see me, but I saw him, and I also saw the knife he had in his hands. The next thing I knew, he got back into his car and sped away. After that, the police questioned me. I wanted to know what I was doing lurking around. I don't hide.

As they questioned me, they pulled out all these photos of these poor women, including your mother. I denied all of it.

Then that deputy showed one day and accused me of murdering her. He also said he would ruin me if I didn't confess. I never did. Then rumors circulated that I was the serial killer. People wouldn't look at me the same. They stayed away. My job let me go. I basically hit rock bottom because of a rumor and because I was the only black man here.