The Lake Effect

It seemed winter was going to make an early arrival this year with the coldness creeping into the air. Dad was still hunting the Lakewood serial killer while the town went quiet. Well, except me and Luka, who had no issue with loudness when we were around each other.

"What's with all the yelling?" Dad asked, coming into the kitchen.

"That would be your daughter and her boyfriend," she said.

"Oh, so she's my daughter when she's loud," he said, raising his voice.

She gave him a look, and he grinned.

Upstairs, Luka was chasing me around my room, trying to pin me down so he could tickle me. I was laughing so hard that I tripped and crashed into him like the first time, but only this time, he fell holding me. We laughed.

Then the door opened, and we looked up to see dad standing there with a warning look.

"Hey, dad," I giggled.

"Hey, Mr. W," Luka said.

"Don't you kids have something you could be doing besides shaking the house with all your running?"

"Considering no one can go anywhere, we have to find some way to keep ourselves amused," I shrugged.

He crouched and looked at me, "I'll tell you what, go up to Leland, it's the next town over and do something. Just be home before it gets dark."

He didn't have to tell us twice - anything to get out of the house. We got up quickly and dashed out of there, grabbing our coats on our way out the door.

Dad came downstairs, "Was that Luka and Malia leaving?"

"Yep."

"What about the curfew?"

"Oh, a few hours won't hurt. Plus, it would be nice to have a few hours of peace before heading back to the station," Dad said, kissing her on top of the head.

Luka drove us to Leland and it was pretty deserted. We got out of the car and looked around the area.

"It's so weird not seeing people around here."

"Even if there weren't a serial killer running loose, it would still be deserted since tourist season is over. Let's go inside before I freeze my balls off."

"Is it even possible for one to freeze their balls off?"

He just rolled his eyes, and I laughed. We went inside and found a booth. We ordered a couple of hot cocoas to warm up.

"So, a little birdie told me your birthday is Friday," I said, taking a sip of my cocoa.

"Remind me to beat the shit out of Niko when I see him," he grumbled.

"What's wrong with your birthday?"

"It was around the time my mom got sick. After she died, I didn't want to celebrate my birthday again," he said somberly.

"Not even for me?"

He gave me a look, "I'm not getting out of this one, am I?"

"Nope."

"Okay, fine, only because it's you. Anyone else, nope."

"Yay!" I clapped, and he couldn't help but chuckle.

"So, when is your birthday?"

"Do you want to know?"

"Obviously."

"I am a Christmas Eve baby," I smiled.

"Really?"

"Yep. Dad said it was one of the best Christmas gifts they got that year."