F I F T E E N

Ned Stark sat in the darkness of his cell, he was thinking about his daughters. Especially, Raya, he hoped she got away. He wanted her to be safe and she was strong, she'd survive... He should have listened to her but now he's here. He promised he'd never leave her but he knows whats coming for him.

       That was when the cell door opened, his eyes adjusted for a second before seeing it was Varys. 

       "Lord Stark, you must be thirsty," Varys kneeled giving him a flagon of water.

       "Varys," Ned said confused.

         Varys noticed his refusal to drink, "I promise you it isn't poisoned," he sighed as he took the cap off, "why is knowing ever trusts the eunuch?" he asked as he drank some before offering it again to him. Ned finally accepted and took a long drink, "not so much, My Lord, I would save the rest if I were you. Hide it, men have been known to die of thirst in these cells." 

       "What about my daughters?" Ned asked.

         "The youngest seemed to escape, even my little birds cannot find her and Sansa is still engaged to Joffrey, Cersei will keep her close." Varys answered.

        "And Raya?" Ned asked eager to hear about his eldest.

         "Raya has escaped the castle, I think someone is helping her I haven't figured out who yet," Varys answered, "the rest of your household though, all dead, it grieves me to say. I do so hate the sight of blood."

        "You watched my men being slaughtered and did nothing," Ned accused obviously angry about it.

       "And would again, My Lord, I was unarmed, unarmored, and surrounded by Lannister swords. When you look at me do you see a hero?" Varys asked and Ned just sighed as he took a drink of the water again. "What madness led you to tell the Queen you'd learned the truth about Joffrey's birth?" 

       Ned hated thinking about that, he made a mistake by telling Cersei, he knows that now. Raya told him not to but still, he did it. "The madness of mercy," he said looking down, "that she might save her children."

       "Ah, the children, always the children who suffer," Varys looked at him, "it wasn't the wine that killed Robert nor the boar, the wine slowed him down and boar ripped him open. But it was your mercy that killed the King." Varys inquired, "I trust you know that you're a dead man, Lord Eddard."

        Ned didn't want to admit it, he couldn't. He promised Raya that he'd be there for her, that he wouldn't leave her alone. He'd never do that to her, not by choice. "The Queen can't kill me, Cat holds her brother," Ned said as he took another drink.

       "The wrong brother sadly and lost to her," Varys said and Ned looked at him, "your wife let the imp slip through her fingers."

       Ned felt his heart drop, how is he going to do this? He didn't care if he died but he did care about his children... His daughters. Raya. He has no way to do this and if the Queen had her way, they would make him suffer.

       "If that's true, slit my throat and be done with it," Ned told him.

        "Not today, My Lord," Varys stood up and started to walk away.

        "Tell me something, Varys, who do you truly serve?" Ned asked.

        "You know Raya was not wrong," Ned looked at Varys when he said that, "what the realm needs is a good King, you would have been a good one but you messed up on how to go about it. Now you're here."

       "Now I'm here," Ned nodded.

        "You ask who I serve?" Varys asked making Ned nod, "the realm, someone must."