T W E N T Y N I N E

Brienne had them up early the next morning, she ended up taking over watch last night when Raya couldn't stay up any longer, Raya got a few good hours but now it was time to be back on the road.

     As they walked in the trees, close the river bank, Raya listened to it the sound of the flowing river- the sound of silence, she loved that sound. She cherished it more these days now that the Kingslayer insisted on talking a lot during their walks. Something about last night's talk still bothered Raya, she hated the man for what he did to her family, but at the same time, her conscience keeps telling her it isn't entirely his fault. It makes her so confused and she has no idea what to really think.

     Brienne made them stop in the cover of the brush to stare at the river. Raya looked up at the bridge, which was completely barren, no one on it. But of course, it was still a risk to cross it in broad daylight, anyone could see them. 

     "It's a tough decision," of course, the Kingslayer begins to talk again, "take the bridge and risk being seen or cross the great water-"

     "Silence, Kingslayer," Brienne ordered.

     But he continued, "anyone could see us on the bridge but cross the water and the current could take us... Or I could escape down the river."

     "Good luck with that one," Raya said leaning her arm on the tree to look closer, she smirked at the thought of him trying to escape down that river, he'd drown for sure especially with chains on.

     Jamie smirked at the two women, "it's wonderful to watch you two struggle with these dilemmas. Which will they choose?"

     "Maybe we can find a way around," Raya suggested when Brienne shook her head.

     "We're taking the bridge," Brienne interrupted, already pulling the Kingslayer forward. 

      Raya followed the two at the edge of the water, as they went up the hill he began to talk again.

     "Gambler at heart," Jaime muttered from behind, "wouldn't have guessed."

     Brienne pushed him forward, "be quick about it."

     The bridge was fairly long, and it took a bit to walk across it. The soil underneath was dark and littered with fresh rain. Weeds grew on the sides of the stones. Just as they were halfway across the bridge, Raya watched as Jamie groaned and sat down on the ground.

     "I need to rest," he complained.

      Brienne glanced around to make sure no one was coming as she ordered, "get up!" 

     "I have these, you know, on your feet when you walk too far. What do you call them?" 

     "Get up now, Kingslayer!" Raya seethed through clenched teeth.

      "Corns. I never used to get corns," Jaime rambled on, "of course, I used to ride everywhere. Not march around like a common foot soldier wearing the same shit boots for over a year. This heel is ruined. There's no way-" 

     Brienne began to hoist him to his feet, but he ended up blindsiding both her and Raya when he dragged a sword from her person as he got up. He immediately cut the chain that was attached to himself. He laughed as took out the first obstacle which was Raya, he grabbed her by the neck and held her in a chokehold to make sure she couldn't get her sword or her bow!

     Raya looked at Brienne who had unsheathed her sword as well as she hissed at him, "let me go!" Raya struggled but he tightened the grip on her neck.

     "I never understood why some knights felt the need to carry two swords," he rambled on.

     Brienne held her stance firmly, "let her go and put down the sword."