Chapter Eight: Pay Day

My first week of service was over and my check was coming in today. I had an hour left before I had to go home. Everyone said their goodbyes and Ennard looked at me with a sad look on his face. I told him that we could talk in my room. Ennard's response was a simple nod, and he followed me.
I tapped my fingers on the dresser, nervous about the situation at hand. Ennard sighed softly and sat on my bed. 'What am I gonna do?' I thought, 'I have a leave, and I can tell that Ennard doesn't like it. Well, I guess I'll just have to explain it to him the best way I can.'
I walked over to Ennard and blew a little breath. "Ennard, I'll be back on Monday. I thought you knew that I worked here for 5 days out of the week, and stay home on the weekends." All he did was set his head in his hands. I placed my hands on Ennard's, and stared into his blue eyes. "Don't worry about it; I'll be back on Monday. I promise." With that, I kissed his forehead, grabbed my backpack, and left for my car.
Ennard was left in my room with a blushing face and a small smile.

When I got home, Adrian was wearing a party hat, and she made me waffles, piled high with strawberries. (yum!) "Surprise! Happy first week of work day!" She cheered. "Thanks, Adrian!" I laughed, wrapping my arms around her and stealing a strawberry from my plate. We sat down and started eating. "So, when's the check comin' in?" she asked me.
"Some time today, girl. I still can't believe the first week is over already!" I put my empty plate in the sink and went upstairs. Laying down on the bed, I began to wonder about how Ennard must've felt when I left. I couldn't help but think that he wished for me to stay.
'Did I say something that hurt him? I just told him that I had to leave.' I turned over in the bed. "One day, Adrian's gonna have to sleep in her own bed. I'm tired of sharing." Adrian lived in a house were there were two parents and five children. She was the second oldest daughter, and there were three bedrooms for two kids in one, two in the second, and her older brother got a room for himself. She's so used to sleeping with another person that the girl will have her arm on top of my head!
Anyway, James started bothering me again. 'Hello, Melany. Finally, the environment that we're supposed to be in.' I shook my head, trying to keep him quiet. I got up and headed to the mirror in the bathroom. Staring into the reflection, I saw James, stroking my hair. Petrified, I started looking around for him. 'Don't bother looking for me, Melany. I'm a ghost, remember?' I stared at my reflection. "What is with you, James? I can't have my own privacy now, too? Are you gonna take a shower with me?!" I was angry with him now. 'Now now, Melany. I didn't mean it like that.'  His reflection disappeared from the mirror. "Sick," I grumbled.
Starting up the water in the tub, I stripped down and listened to the sound of the water. So peaceful; I could think straight now. Washing my hair, I thought about Ennard again.

Time Skip~

"Where is he?" Baby said, tapping her foot on the floor impatiently. "Who are you looking for, Baby?" asked Bonnet, who was coming down from the left side of the hallway. Baby bent down to Bonnet's level. "I'm looking for Ennard. He hasn't shown up in what feels like ages. Do you know where he could be, sweetie?" Bonnet scratched her head for a minute or two before she glanced at Baby. "S- sorry, I don't know where he's at."
Baby said "Thanks anyway," patted Bonnet's head with a smile, and walked away. Yenndo was around the corner and bumped into Baby. "Oh, I'm sorry! I was walking around with this broken remote and I didn't see you!" Yenndo apologized. Baby dusted off her dress. "It's okay, Yenndo. Anyway, have you seen Ennard anywhere?" Yenndo thought for a moment. "Ah! Try Melany's room. She went back there with Ennard, but left about an hour or so ago. He could still be there as we speak." Baby gave Yenndo a hug and ran down the hall. "Thanks, Yenndo!" she said, waving.

Ennard was in my room, holding the lava lamp. He sniffed and set it down next to the sketchbook, which in turn fell from the dresser. Shrugging at it, Ennard sighed and took it off the floor, attempting to look through it.

He was interrupted when Baby opened the door.
"Ennard? Are you okay?" she asked in her sweet and calm voice. Ennard shook his head and glanced around the room. "I know she's not here right now, but Melany will be back, Ennard." Ennard sniffed again as Baby gave him a hug. Then she whispered, "If you're crying, then you need this hug. Don't worry about it; she'll be back on Monday. She promised."Ennard returned the hug as Baby rocked him back and forth in her hug. When she let go, Baby smiled and closed the door, noticing that he wanted to be alone.

Time Skip~

The check came in, and the money amount was for $500! Me and Adrian danced around the house after that.