Chapter Twenty-Nine: Adrian Awaits

I went home and found Adrian at the table, on the phone. "Yes... of course... I know... you won't be sorry, sir. Thank you too... goodnight." Adrian hung up the phone and jumped. "Oh! I didn't see you, Melany. What is it?"

"Who were you talking to on the phone?" I sat down beside her. "My boss fired me earlier today," she said. "What?!" "Yeah," she continued, "I'm getting a new job at Circus Baby's Pizza World, so we can be there together!"
She threw her hands in the air, as if to act like she was celebrating. My eyes went wide and I glanced at her. "You know you gotta tell me what you were thinking about earlier, right Mel?" Adrian nudged my arm. "Well, I can't have you working there with me, Adrian. I'm sorry, but it's the rules."
She glared at me and said, "Can you at least tell me what happened there? I promise I'll call William back and tell him I can't work there." I picked up the phone and set it in Adrian's hand. "Call him first."
She nodded and gave me a hug. I left for upstairs as I heard her dial William's number.
'Now what am I gonna do?' I thought, 'Adrian's probably gonna bug me to death about my little secret.' I fed the fish and sat down on the bed. Glancing at the sketchbook, I figured I should draw. "Melany!" I heard Adrian shout. "Right when I get comfortable," I grumbled.

"William said that it was okay with him that I couldn't be at work, but he also said that he thought you were dead already and hung up. What's that about?" I shifted in my chair and looked at her. "He's being stupid, that's all. What I was talking about earlier, was that I didn't want to tell you..." I pulled up my sleeve. (I wasn't gonna show her scar, even though she already knows about it.) "I got hurt on the job."
"How did that happen?" Adrian traced over the scars on my arms. "I... I ran into some wires and got stuck. I'm fine, though." I knew that the real reason was because of Ennard's wires when I made him angry. Adrian pulled up my shirt. "How did you get this horrible slash then, Mel?"
I gulped and began to sweat. "I fell." Adrian got up and threw her hands in the air. "That's it! I'm coming to work with you on Monday! I am done!" "Adrian, I can work by myself, thank you!" I shouted. "I'm sick of these secrets, Melany! I'm gonna find out what you've been hiding from me." Adrian took her car and left. I was left alone in the house, scared of what she might find.
'What if the animatronics try to kill her? Will she run away from me, thinking I'm a freak, too? Will I have to tell her that I was an animatronic once? Am I gonna tell Adrian that I died 8 years ago and that I'm practically a zombie?!!' A million and one thoughts ran in and out of my head like snakes. I sat down on the floor and cried.