|Chapter VI|

Find your fire

Chapter 6: The so called captain

I sat waiting by the bleachers waiting for practice to be over. There was both soccer and cheerleading practices on the field. The cheerleaders didn't occupy much of the space while the soccer team was scoring and defending goals to the looks of it.

I wasn't very fond of sports but I could pick up a few things. I knew a bit of football as my dad used to watch. I had a very small amount of knowledge to about other sports.

If you were to ask what outdoor activity do I enjoy, I would most probably tell you running. I guess I just wanted to start focusing more on my academics leading to sports being placed at the back of my mind. Nowadays running was a form of exercise for me.

The cheerleaders were forming a pyramid that was bound to fall apart. From where I sat I could see Reece and Vee. Reece hated cheerleading and was manipulatively convinced by Vee that it would be fun. Unfortunately, it wasn't and she couldn't quit as there was a school policy of once you joined an after-school activity, you were fully committed to it.

Vee didn't love cheer like every typical cheerleader did but she could tolerate it. The look on her face said it all as she was the flyer for the team.

Imagine, trusting the fate of your life in the hands of teenage girls. That's just a death wish if you ask me. I'm surprised Vee hasn't gotten shaken up so much to the point she would need sugar water.

I sighed placing my elbows on my knees while my chin sat on my hands. Boredom had struck me more than ten minutes ago and I had nothing much to do.

Whenever there was soccer practice, I would hitch a ride from either Vee or Reece. Or I'd take the bus but I missed the bus after spending some time in the library earlier.

The boys were playing a game later on today. Usually there would be practice before a game but not as hectic as a normal practice. It would end an hour earlier so that they could get ready for the game.

I watched as Jordan slickly moved passed one of the defenders, kicked the ball through another players legs and shot the ball into the nets. Even after six weeks of not playing he hadn't lost his touch.

He ran a hand through his hair while the coach said something to him then he nodded. He switched positions with another player becoming part of the defence.

The same thing happened as the players tried to go past the defenders and getting a shot in. It went on for a while till my gaze moved onto the cheerleaders who were done with practice.

Reece was waving her hands at me getting my attention. I grabbed my back pack and carefully walked down the bleachers.

"Took you long enough to notice me." Reece said.

"Give the girl a break." I smiled knowing I had someone to back me up. "She was busy concentrating on her man." My smile dropped, giving her little shove.

"We know you were staring at him. You pout your mouth when your concentrating and have a crease on your forehead." Reece explained as we walked to the parking lot.

"Stalker much."

"I'm just an observer."

"Sure, and I was part of Destiny's Child." She rolled her eyes.

"Really?" Reece played along. "Does that mean you were the replacement for Beyoncé?"

"Well I wouldn't say I was a replacement as she is irreplaceable."