|Chapter XL|

Be generous with your love but careful with your heart

Chapter 40: Distractions

Just about five days had passed since Jordan left. I expected him to come back after a couple hours but it seemed like he needed more than that. I understood that he wasn't in a good state of mind at the moment but he was starting to worry me.

I called him several times and left countless messages to the point that his voicemail inbox got full. Yet he never answered because his phone was off.

I went searching for him the whole weekend checking the places he would be. It was no use, he was M.I.A. I tried his favourite hangouts, the gym, the club where he liked to practise his soccer. I'd even asked his friends the next week at school if they'd seen him. I knew they were telling me the truth because they were also worrying about him. They had a big game coming up and their star player was nowhere to be seen.

I laid awake every night thinking where he could be and if he was okay. He took his car and I hoped that he was driving safely and not being irresponsible. He could be anywhere now that I thought about it. Jordan could've even left the state or even the country. The worst that came to mind was that he wasn't thinking straight and got into a car crash.

I already lost a major part of my life I couldn't lose anyone else—not him.

I was almost halfway through the week and still no sign of him. By now Cali wanted to file a missing person's report but I had to assure her that he would be back by the end of the week. Though I was actually trying to convince myself.

During the day, I relied on school to become a distraction but no matter how hard I tried, all I did was worry whether he was okay.

I could feel myself wanting to pull my hair out because I didn't know where my boyfriend had gone. It was frustrating and stressful not knowing where someone you loved was. All I needed to know was that he was all right.

When the last bell of the day rang, I was relieved. I couldn't fill my head with anymore knowledge.

I made my way to the changing room checking my phone just in case Jordan had left me a message. When I was greeted with an empty inbox, I placed my phone back in my pocket. I sighed and opened my locker. I hated being in here. Always knowing that Emily lurked these halls.

I wasn't the only here as there were some cheerleaders and some people from the track team. As long as there were people here, I doubt she would do anything.

When Jordan left in resent, Cali explained everything to us. She shared her deepest secrets with Madison and I. It wasn't easy for her as it was like she was reliving it again. But it would be even harder when she told Jordan.

I now understood why she was so keen on me filing a case against Heath. Even though nothing happened to me she wanted justice for what he almost did to me. She knew how it felt to be in my place but she was more scarred than what I could ever be.

I didn't see her as a weakling as she spoke. The tears would never block out the strength she carried. She'd gone through the worst yet here she was making it look easy when it's been nothing but difficult.

Besides my mother, I looked up to Cali as a female figure. She was a second mother to me who managed to take care of her kids and me in many ways. Whether it was when she took me shopping with Madison or watched me when my parents weren't around. As soon as she took me in after my parents passing I knew I could always count on her. I was grateful and appreciated her more than I could ever explain.