|Chapter XLIX|

Damaged people are dangerous. They know how to make hell feel like home.

Chapter 49: Open your eyes

I blinked my eyes open trying my best to ignore the heaviness in my head.

The first thing in sight was Gavin sitting against the wall. His long hair covered his face as I watched his shoulders move indicating that he was breathing. I let out a relived breath that I didn't know that I was keeping in.

"Gavin." I mumbled through the duct tape. His head perked up to my direction.

"Renée." He didn't have tape on his face and looked like he'd been awake for a while.

How long was I out? It could've been hours, days or maybe even weeks. It wasn't something hard to believe considering that I've been in a coma before.

I spoke more hoping that he'd be able to understand.

"Shh. Don't speak." He put a finger over his lips.

It wasn't a dream. I really was kidnapped and tied up in some room. There were no windows and the only source of light came from a lightbulb hanging from the sealing. The walls were dirty and filled with dust. It was like no one had been in this place for years.

I motioned my head for him to come towards me. His hands were tied in front giving him an advantage of being able to easily move around.

He shook his head and it was the first time I'd seen him scared. I wonder what happened when I wasn't awake. Could he have threatened Gavin or even hurt him?

I nodded my head encouraging him to come to me in order to remove the tape. He eventually gave in and wiggled his way across the floor.

Slowly his little fingers gently teared off the tape. I let out a breath before taking in the oxygen through my mouth. The air was very stuffy and dusty.

"Are you okay? What happened?" I asked him.

"I'm scared, Renée. Who is he and why did he take us? I wanna go home." I sometimes forget that he was still a child despite how him and his brother acted together.

"It's okay to be scared." I was scared. I didn't know what to do. I watched so many kidnapping movies never thinking that it would happen to me. I wanted it to be just one of those dreams I had after watching one of those movies.

"What did he say to you? Did he hurt you?"

He said no. "He just asked for my name and told me to keep quiet and that he'll be back soon."

I managed to get myself up and shimmy over to the wall next to Grayson.

"How long has it been?"

"A while. Do you know that man?"

"I do. I wish I didn't but I know who he is." His face was still fresh in my mind and how his eyes looked through me like I was transparent. "We have to get out of here."

"I have Tyler's phone." He whispered as if someone other than the two of us was here. He reached into his pocket, not before struggling, getting the phone. "I switched it off to save battery. I wanted to wait for you before calling anyone." I didn't know any other eight-year-old besides Grayson who was this smart.

"Yes, good idea. Call Jordan." The phone silently ringed once before the phone answered.

"Hello—Gavin? Are you okay? Where are you? You guys alright?"

"Jordan. It's me."

"Ray. It's so good to hear your voice." I felt the same way. Another voice joined. "Where are you guys? Is Gavin fine?"