|Chapter XXVII|

What you feel is not who you are

Chapter 27: Her three stages

I should've known Emily would've been up to something. She always had more than one card to play. I was like a moving target she was determined to hit. I had never provoked her before but now she had some reason to strike.

When Jordan called it quits for their relationship, Emily had tried many ways to get back together with him. From what he told me, she had bribed him through make out sessions in the janitors closet to things that shouldn't be mentioned.

He'd refused it all leaving Emily to be filled with rage. She didn't like the fact that someone had dumped her. She had a reputation of breaking it off. Never had someone did the same to her as they were all under spell except for Jordan who caught her red-handed. 

In return Emily wanted to hurt Jordan the same way 'he hurt her' and that was through me.

Emily saw me being the cause to her break up. It was an opportunity for her to kill two birds with one stone and for that she had her three stages.

Stage one was one of the childish things you'd see in movies. It wasn't really something that would affect you except get people talking about it for the next hour or so. It was more of a type of elementary way of bullying.

The sun was shining brightly over the area. It was clear blue skies presuming it to be a beautiful day to sit outside. Outside the cafeteria were tables for days like this. I usually never sat at the cafeteria but I thought that today would be a good day to eat my lunch out here rather than behind the school.

After I had taken my food I sat at an unoccupied table as far away from everyone else. I went through my notes as I had a test the next period. As I did so I also ate my lunch.

It indeed was a good day. I didn't run into Emily this morning and everyone else was busy socialising with their friends minding their own businesses.

Every table was appointed to different groups. Towards the middle of the benches that people were having lunch was the jocks. There Jordan sat with his friends who too contributed in humiliating me.

Emily and her friends sat with them. I don't know when it was the last time I actually had lunch here like everyone else. That's why I was analysing who people sat with.

I stopped reading when I saw Jordan looking at me. He held a smile knowing that I never had lunch here or in the cafeteria. He'd always ask why he never saw me during lunch but I always shrugged it off. I didn't want him to hunt me down and drag me here like I knew he'd do.

I shook my head while smiling back before going back to eating and flipping pages.

Towards the end of lunch I packed up my books and walked to the school building. In order to get outside on this side of the school I had to cross the cafeteria as well as through the lunch tables.

I passed every table trying to keep a low profile but Emily had sharp eyes. Everyday I would always try to avoid her, sadly it wasn't that easy. I had come to the conclusion that she put a tracker on me and that's how she always knew where I was.

From the corner of my eye I saw one of Emily's minions get up. She  stopped in front of me blocking my way when I was just about to pass their table.

I raised my eyebrow wondering what she wanted. Maybe it was one her daily remarks that always got old.

She crossed her arms and took a step back. I almost thought that she was moving out of the way for me and was just trying to 'scare' me. It was odd and I should've known that something wasn't adding up.