|Chapter XXVIX|

One day you will leave this world behind, so live a life you will remember

Chapter 29: Rookie mistake, Renée

Things didn't go back to how they were, in fact things were better than okay. Jordan was true to his words in the poem he wrote. He said he would try to fix things and I haven't been any happier. It wasn't just him putting in the effort, I was too doing so.

I no longer felt like a captive whose life was limited. I didn't feel controlled by someone and felt like my own person for once in a very long time. I could go back to how everything was before without fearing that something would happen—I no longer feared Jordan.

It's only been a week since our anniversary which I concluded to be remarkable. Jordan was for sure making me see the true him. He's shown me the not so pretty parts of him but that only made me see the things that made me love him in the first place.

It really felt like eight months ago when we were in the beginning of a relationship. But I doubt any of that would've happened if we weren't as close as we were. I believed that having your significant other as your best friend was the key to a lasting relationship.

Even with us being in a relationship, we still did the things we did before. Driving around, going to the mall, watching a movie, he even went with me to the library. Nothing changed as much. We were basically friends who really loved each other.

"Can you answer that?"

I picked up his phone in the console and paused when I saw the contact. Before Jordan could notice anything I answered it enabling the call to the bluetooth of the car.

Jordan's eyes flickered to the radios screen. He turned to look at me knowing that we both shared a mutual disliking of him. He sighed before looking in front of him as the other line started speaking.

"Ey, Jordan."

"What do you want?"

"I'm great Jordan, thanks for asking." Kyle sarcastically said resulting in Jordan not replying. "Some of us are at my place, if you down for a smoke, drinks, music." Kyle's voice rang through the air.

I raised my eyebrow at Jordan waiting for his response. My intense stare couldn't have gone unnoticed but he was avoiding looking at me as if it would influence his decision.

I guess now teenagers smoking was a 'normal' thing just for the experience. Personally I was against drugs and smoking. I'd made it perfectly clear to Jordan that I wouldn't date a smoker or druggie before we'd even dated. Fortunately I knew him as the kind to try something but not stay hooked on to it.

"Jay are you still there?"

Jordan stopped at a red stop sign. He shook his head running a hand through his hair.

"Yeah, um. Nah, I'm already busy with other things." I almost smiled in satisfaction that he wasn't going to force me to come with him.

I could hear Kyle on the other line talking to someone else in the background.

"He said he's busy."

"With what?"

"Most probably with his girlfriend." I heard laughter after that.

Jordan reached out to switch off the speaker of the call but I stopped him reassuring him it was alright. I knew that they didn't actually mean anything and that they were being boys.

Neither Kyle or Landon had girlfriends so it's not much of a surprise the way they spoke about me. That was the problem with some guys, they made inappropriate comments and chased anything with a skirt.