|Chapter IX|

What is stronger than the human heart which shatters over and over and still lives

Chapter 9: Blinded by the fridge light

I flipped over the next page of my book. The noise in the café wasn't bothering me as I tuned out the sound. Usually I needed peace quiet when doing any kind reading but the author had caught my attention from the first chapter making it possible for me to focus.

I took a sip of my hot chocolate, my eyes still on the words. The well-known drink entered my system giving me warmth.

I've been here too many times to count. Ever since the new café opened it had been my go to place for a drink.

It was a homey place with carpeted and wooden floors. There were tables and chairs around the store with modern bookshelves surrounding the place. That was my favourite part about this place, you either buy, borrow or sit down and read the books.

The best thing was their drinks. They were to die for. From the lattes to the non-alcoholic berry cocktails. I personally loved their hot chocolates that always came with artistic presentation, all of the drinks had spectacular presentation.

It was one of the reasons why it was hard to get a job at this place. You had to be able to wait on tables, make every drink on the menu perfectly and you needed to have some type of knowledge for literature.

I could've gotten a job here. Waiting tables wouldn't be a big deal, it would actually help me with my social abilities. The literature would be a piece of cake with my knowledge of books. The problem was that I sucked at creativity, so making the drinks would be a problem.

I carried on reading when I felt a shift in the atmosphere. I looked up from my book and sighed in annoyance. I don't think the person sitting next to me seemed to know what leave me alone meant.

"I see that you've been running away from me." Kyle spoke with a stupid grin.

I ignored him and went back to reading. I thought he would leave but he stayed and spoke even more.

"I didn't really think that you would tell Jordan but did you think that was going to stop me?" I kept a mental note of what page I was on and closed the book.

"What exactly am I stopping you from?" I grabbed the coffee mug and took another sip.

"You know exactly what. You still want to be with your lifelong best friend. Relationships based off from friendships don't last." He said.

"Kyle, I'm pretty sure I didn't ask for your advice on my relationship." Who was he to tell me that my relationship wouldn't last. He was a f*ckboy. I wondered why he made it his mission to peruse me.

"You didn't need to ask. I can see through you. You're miserable."

"Has it occurred to you that your presence has a part in that?" I told him. Whenever I saw him it was like a scowl would automatically be formed. With him bullying me in the past, I disliked him. His presence sickened me.

But Kyle got me thinking. Was I unhappy? My relationship with Jordan was normal if you didn't count the times he got a bit violent. I knew deep down inside that he could change back to the Jordan I knew. There could be a reason to his actions but it didn't give him an excuse.

"That's not the truth and you know it." His lips curved into a creepy smile while his blue eyes flickered to mine. He did have pretty nice eyes.

"I don't like you." I stated. "Why do you keep trying?"

"I keep trying because I always get what I want, Ray." He purposely emphasised my nickname allowing the word to roll off his tongue.

"Don't call me that." Nobody called me 'Ray', only Jordan did. He claimed to call me that first and only he was allowed to call me that. Hearing someone else say it felt weird. "Not everyone ends up getting what they want." Sure, Kyle did seem to have things go his way but not this time.