|Chapter XXXVII|

You are the caption of your own destiny

Chapter 37: In where he discovers the truth

Before Madison had a arrived, Jordan and I were yet to find out what Cali was hiding. She went through such measures to hide a simple box. She had even gone as far as hiding the key behind a picture. Clearly she was trying to hide something.

Jordan wanted to confront her about but I tried to stop him to wait til the time was right. He didn't listen to my suggestion and had rushed things causing chaos within the house.

I was washing washing the dishes with my earphones plugged in when I heard Jordan speak to Cali.

"Mom."

"Hm?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"What is it?" She asked sounding a bit concerned.

"I asked you about my dad a few years back." Cali stayed quiet. "And you told me that he abandoned you when he found out you were pregnant with me."

I had my back to them and paused the music so I could hear. I knew it was wrong of me to eavesdrop but I was also curious.

"What about him?"

"Is there more to the story?"

"What's that supposed to mean? Where's all of this coming from?" She said instead. "You never cared about him until now. Why the sudden interest?"

He hesitated for a second. "Remember I told you about my...my night terrors."

"Yes, what about them?"

"They're getting worse."

"That's why I got you a therapist."

"Yes, but it's not helping. I barely get three hours of sleep. In a recent session my therapist said they could possibly triggered by past events."

It became quiet and the only sound was the dishes clashing as I washed them.

"Do you think they're real?"

"I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking about him."

"You think that your father might be somehow relevant to all of this?" There was a pause. "You've never told me what your dreams are about. Maybe if you tell me I could help you."

It took him a while to contemplate on telling his mom but he told her. I knew it took a lot of courage for him to tell him. Jordan was a closed person and didn't like sharing his personal problems. He'd rather keep everything inside than tell anyone.

He told his mom a short, less detailed description of his dreams. He summoned the whole story but left out some details. It wasn't exactly like how he expressed to me but maybe he didn't feel comfortable going into that much depth with her.

"Mom, did you hear what I said?" Jordan asked after explaining to her.

"Yes." I barely heard. "How...how long did you say you had them for?" Her voice sounded shaky.

"A few months. Why?"

"No reason." She suspiciously stuttered. "I don't think anything happened when you were younger. Maybe it's just your mind—"

"So you think I'm crazy?"

"Don't say that, Jordan. You're not crazy. Crazy is used to describe a mad person whose aggressive. That doesn't summon up who you are."

"Then explain why I constantly have the same damn dream about you getting hurt by someone I supposedly think is my father and I have no f*cking clue what it means."