|Chapter XX|

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful

Chapter 20: An eye for attractive things

I had one job, one simple job, to take care of them. Any person could do that. They weren't difficult and their ages made it easier to watch over the two. Except my usual responsible self was irresponsible at this point of time.

My mind was blowing up with things that could've happen to them. What if someone sold them sweets filled with drugs and kidnapped them—or worse, killed them on the spot? The police would call me for questioning and pledge me guilty.

Everything was going fine before. Tyler left me with simple instructions and told me what to do in certain situations.

"The twins are upstairs in their room. They must do their homework before watching TV and make sure you do one twin at a time." He sounded like such an adult. It was almost as if he was their parent knowing how things should be done for the two specifically.

"Why one twin at a time?" It would pass time if they did their homework together.

"They like comparing themselves with each other." He said. "Now, when they get hungry, there's food in the fridge." He nodded to the kitchen. "If they want to go play outside, watch them closely."

"Anything else?"

"That's it for now." He grabbed his keys from the dinning table and opened the door. "I have to go now. Are you sure you can handle two kids?"

"Don't worry about it. You just go rob the bank and not think one bit of what's going on here." I assured him and let out a small laugh.

He was about to walk out but stopped and turned back at me. "You haven't babysat before, have you?"

I kissed my teeth, embarrassed that I was caught in the act of lying. "Is it that obvious? What gave me away?"

"The way you intensely listened to my instructions." I shifted my glasses. My focus clung to each word he said. I've never babysat in my whole life. It was more because there was no child figure in my life to ever watch.

"I can assure you that everything will be alright. It's just two kids, I'm sure I can handle them. If I couldn't I would've turned down the second you asked." I smiled. I didn't want to look like a person who couldn't do something as simple as babysitting.

He observed me for a second, checking if I was hundred percent certain. My smile brightened just to convince him to leave so that I could prove that I could do it. Not just Tyler but prove myself as well.

Once he was convinced that I could take care of his brothers he left. I took a breath and spoke motivational words to myself.

"I can do it."

"Just two children not animals." I couldn't deal with pets. That's the one thing I'd definitely say no to. It's not that anything happened to me as a child, pets were seen as evil creatures to me.

I repeated a couple more things until my confidence level went up. I was ready to watch those two like a hawk. Tyler trusted me to watch them and I wasn't about to break his trust like someone I know once did to me.