|Chapter XXXIX|

Nothing is permanent in the world, not even our troubles

Chapter 34: Behind his hooded eyes

Since the day I'd met Tyler, he always had a hooded look in his eyes. It was as if he didn't want anyone to see through him. I was still to know facts about him. I knew the basics but still it didn't feel enough to actually say I knew him.

He was dead serious about most things and it was rare to see him smiling. But the times I saw him like that was only around his family. I would see him open up a bit with Violet as the two bickered as per usual. It wasn't really much of a surprise that he left the twins in her care.

The twins were just finishing up homework when I'd come over. It had been long since I saw them last and it appeared they grew taller. Grayson was a mere centimetre taller but I didn't say it aloud. I was trying to get on Gavin's good side. Their hair was out growing and they were needed in a hair cut.

Tyler offered to help me catch on the work I missed. I could've self-taught myself the work but I needed to make sure I was grasping the correct work. Another new thing I learnt about him, he wasn't heartless.

"You know," I set my pen down. "a little birdie told me you got a babysitter."

"I'm guessing that bird is known for getting my name wrong." He looked at me under his long lashes.

"Yep. So what influenced you to make such a decision. I mean after me, I never thought you'd get someone else to watch them."

"If it helps, she lost them too." He tried hiding a smile.

"Heard about that."

"She basically begged me to hire her."

"I doubt that. Knowing her, you were the one to approach her."

"I was running out of options."

"Sure, because of your job. I'm still yet to know about this job." I rested my chin on my palm. "On a serious note, where do you work? Or what exactly is it that you do?"

"You know that restaurant with the good food." He glanced at me. "I got a job there."

"Oh." I don't know why but it felt strange that he was working there.  There shouldn't be a problem, it was a job. Though it was at a place that held a special meaning to me as it was one of the last things I had of him.

"They pay a pretty good salary."

"Yeah, I know." I quietly said staring at the page before me. "My dad was the owner."

"Oh."

"He started up the place himself. It was a risk to start a business with other bigger competitors but it was worth it in the end."

"Was he as cool as you are?"

"You think I'm cool?" He shrugged with the same expression.

"You're not lame." A smirk creeped on my face.

That was the first time someone had actually thought of me in that way. It was encouraging to think that not everyone out there was like Emily.

"Thank you for helping me."  I changed the subject.

"Don't mention it. I can't have a clueless lab partner."

"I'm referring to the other night." His face was wiped of any sign of happiness. "You seemed so calm about the situation." I said recalling what Vee told me. I had gotten different sides of the story except my own since I could only remember half it. "How did you know what to do?"