|Chapter XXXIX|

It didn't matter that she fell apart, it was how she put herself back together

Chapter 39: Lies, lies and more lies

"Jordan..." He didn't respond and rather stood there blankly staring at the police report. After Cali's abrupt statement, the whole room became silent. It took a few moments before Cali had the courage to say his name. It was one thing for Jordan and Madison to find out their mother's secret but it was another thing for Jordan to find out he was the result of a crime.

He finally lifted his gaze. He gave Cali a hard look, emotion building up within him. I don't know whether he was shocked, angry or sad. He kept his emotions hidden pretty well which was why none of us were able to figure him out.

"Say it again." His voice sounded so harsh.

Cali stared back at him with fear. I don't know if it was the fear of her relationship with her son breaking or him leaving after her explaining everything. We didn't even know the complete truth but it didn't seem like an easy one to tell.

"I didn't want you to find out this way." Cali whispered.

"Then exactly when were you going to tell me? After you died? 'Cause it sure seems like that if you hadn't told me for the seventeen goddam years I've been alive!" He started walking around the room furiously running his hand through his hair. "I would've at least liked to know that I was a burden for you."

Cali reached to touch him but he moved back as if she was hot oil.

"I didn't mean it to come out that way. You're not a burden. You know that I love you, right?" Tears started slipping past her lashes.

"Don't." He took another step away from her. "Don't even try to make this better. I'm not a child anymore. You can't sugar coat it with mommy loves you then expect me to forgive and forget. You lied to me."

"If you just listen, you'll understand why." She took a step closer towards him. "Let's just sit down and talk."

"Talk?" His mother nodded looking hopeful. "You had my whole life to talk! And only now you wanna talk." From where I was sitting, the veins on his neck were visible for me to see. I've never seen him filled with such rage. "Forget it. I don't want to hear what you have to say." He started walking to the door. "I'd rather be left in the dark than be fed with more lies." Was what he said before walking out the door.

Cali went after for him but didn't make it far once she'd heard the front door slam close. She stood against the frame of the bedroom door. I could only see her back. Her shoulders slumped looking defeated.

"I should've told him." She kept repeating it to herself in whispers. "I could've told him. Why did it have to be this way."? Neither Madison nor I approached Cali. We were both still stunned. I can't even imagine how Madison or Jordan felt, especially Jordan. "It was the nightmares, wasn't it?" She asked aloud. "He was always persistent."

She turned around still leaning against the doorframe. She sighed before making direct eye contact with me. I still had her diary opened next to me. I could see the pain held within her eyes. It could be the memories replaying themselves in her mind that was making more tears slip past her cheeks.

I couldn't bare to see her in this state. I stood up and embraced her in a hug. She needed to know that despite Jordan feeling how he felt, she had my support in every way. Whether I knew or did not know of her past. She had been there for so many people; her kids, my mom, me. It was now my turn to be there for her.

After a moment, she gave into the hug and started sobbing on my shoulder. I didn't care that my shirt was getting wet or stained with her makeup. The only thing concerning me was her well-being. From reading the reports she'd gone through a lot. The whole family had but they were oblivious to it.

"Mom..." Madison whispered but her voice sounded restrained. I detached from Cali to allow Madison to talk to her. I wanted to leave them alone to give them space though I had a feeling that if Cali were to tell us her story she'd want the both us to listen at the same time.

"I'm so sorry," she started to say. "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you, Mom."

"Madison, don't." Cali told her wiping away her remaining tears. "Don't try to apologise for something you couldn't prevent. No one could. Not even me. " She whispered the last part.

Her eyes once again found mine but I didn't know what to say. I was just as shocked as both Jordan and Madison. I've known Cali for my whole life and not once had I thought something as tragic as this happened to her. But that was the whole idea, she didn't want anyone to find out.

I didn't know how to but I guess me just being here was enough. She had the support of me and her daughter but I wasn't sure about Jordan's. He had just found out that he was the result of a tragedy and was only focused on the idea that his mother lied to him. He was completely oblivious from what his mother went through and who knows if there was more to be discovered. We'd open a door that couldn't be closed again and it was time for Cali to tell us her story.

_______________________

Short chapter and I'm finally fifteen now :)

Song~ Warrior by Chloe x Halle

Malamba