|Chapter XLII|

Whatever you decide to do make sure it makes you happy

Chapter 42: Ice cream with a topping of the past

The house wasn't the same anymore. A veil of tension hung over all of our heads that wasn't going to be taken off anytime soon.

Jordan came back home only two days later still needing time to himself. He was still yet to mend things with Cali. Even though they had spoken, things weren't entirely okay. I doubt things would be the same.

Cali was better a few days later but was hanging onto the hurt that resurfaced. I could see in her eyes how her past had ruined her. How her ex managed to take away a part of her that would stick to her. It was penetrating.

The more I thought about it, things started to add up. It made sense why she was so keen on getting me to open a case. She made the mistake of not doing that so she didn't want me to do the same. I just couldn't help but sympathise towards her.

Cali and Jordan acted differently towards each other. The only words I'd seen them exchange was hellos in the morning and there were barely goodnights. It was as if neither one wanted to speak to each other. I couldn't blame them, a lot of things were said.

Madison went back to New York after staying longer than she intended. Though she would be back for the wedding. She was planning on having it here but would live in New York because Nicholas was stationed there.

Autumn was slowly fading away and the temperature was decreasing along with it. The few last leaves fell to ground having to be raked everyday in order to make front yards look neat.

It was getting pretty cold but the running was keeping me warm as I ran around the neighbourhood. The weather never stopped me from running because of the rush it gave me. It allowed me time to think and rid my body of any toxic energy I was carrying.

Sports were beginning to end. The last football and soccer championship games were last week. The football team didn't win the championships however, the soccer team won keeping a four year streak.

Track was ending this week and so far I'd come first place. It was like I never left but now I was going to soon say goodbye. Even though I only did one season during my high school career, it was fun while it lasted.

Thanksgiving break was coming up in a few days. Usually this time of year, my family and I would go down to visit my grandparents—the ones who poisoned my mother.

Before I wouldn't think that they were any less than good people. Now I was yet to face them. I hadn't confronted them on what I discovered and at the same time I didn't know if I could. It's quite hard to hate someone instantly when they were your family. Then again family don't try to kill each other.

Another reason why I was indecisive about going there was because it would be the first time I'd be going alone. If things hadn't turned how they did, we'd be all be going there to show off what would've been my baby brother. But it was just going to be me and I still wouldn't get used to it.

"Renée."

"Yeah?" She was giving me that you-were-not-listening look. "Sorry."

"I asked, what are your plans for Thanksgiving? Spending it with Jordan's family?" She ate a spoonful of vanilla ice cream.