|Chapter LIII|

The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars

Chapter 53: Helpless, lifeless kids

"Okay, do you remember the plan?"

"Yes." He mumbled before raising his head up. "I don't know if I want to do this anymore, Renée." His big blue eyes stared at me.

"C'mon Gavin, all you have to do is climb those stairs as fast as you can." I encouraged him. "We've practiced it several times."

He was the key to us getting out of here. He managed to wiggle his small wrists and ankles, escaping the rope. He then helped me out of mine which took a sometime. I was worried that in the time space of him doing so that the door would open. Luckily, we had time by our side, practicing climbing the ladder and me ready to swing Michael with the chair. We were going to get out of here, I just knew it.

"Don't you want to see your mom and brothers again? This could be our only chance to be able to see them again. As soon as he's knocked out we run. Well, you run as fast as you can until you see help. Okay? You can do this Gavin." I couldn't run because of my injury but I was going to try my best to get out of here.

He still looked unsure of himself but he had to pull up his socks. I was willing to do almost anything to get out of here. Pushing Gavin out of his comfort zone was just the start of it.

I got up from the floor and positioned myself near the ladder hiding in the shadows. It was hard for me to walk around with my injury but I fought through the pain.

The chair was in my grip ready to attack Michael with it. It wasn't going to be easy considering I'd only eaten once in what I guessed, the last three days. Our rumbling stomachs constantly begging us to get a source of fuel.

This was the most important part. The most crucial part in escaping this dungeon. I needed to make sure I was silent and use all the strength I didn't have to pull through.

I waited for a while counting the seconds down until the door opened. I motioned for Gavin to keep quiet with my finger to my lips, my heart skipping two beats.

Briefly, I closed my eyes giving myself a mini pep talk. This was a matter of life and death. Gavin was relying on me to make sure he had a clear way to escape. He had so much going for him. We both did. We were destined for great things whether we did or didn't believe so.

As Michael's footsteps descended the stairs, I tightly held the chair above my waist. My chest getting tighter, extremely terrified if our plan failed.

He reached the ground facing Gavin. Before he could look for me, I swung the chair back then hit it against his back.

"Gavin, now!" I yelled. He sprinted to the ladder using his short legs to climb.

I nervously tapped my good foot glancing at Gavin then back at Michael as he laid on the ground groaning.

A bright light shone into the room as Gavin attempted lifting himself out just as I started ascending the steps. I made it to make fourth step just as I was pulled to the floor.

My ears started ringing from the impact, numbness spreading all over my head. It didn't hurt as much as my leg.

It took me a while to come to my senses. I sat up and pressed my hand to my forehead barely feeling anything. Glancing upwards, I looked at Michael pursuing after Gavin. He had half of his body out leaving his feet to dangle.

I attempted to get up to help Gavin but Michael got to him within seconds. He grabbed his dangling leg and forcefully pulled him to the ground. Gavin's agony screams seeping into my skin on his way down. It made my body turn cold as I watched Gavin fall hard against the floor, head first.

No, no. No!

An echo went through the room and I swore it was his skull cracking. I went up to him before my brain could register anything. I held his head on my lap, tears pushing past my eyelids. The warm feeling of blood coming into contact with my hand making me cry harder.

"No, Gavin." I shook him ever so slightly. "C'mon Gavin, wake up." I felt around for a pulse panicking as I couldn't find one. "Wake up, dammit!"

I felt myself struggling to breath each time I screamed for his name and he didn't reply. My mind losing its sense as I shook him to get his consciousness back but he looked so dead. So fragile yet I knew there was a fighter in there. Somewhere was a fighter but I couldn't see him.

A sudden grasp wrapped around my hair dragging me away from him. I forced my foot onto the floor to stop myself from being pulled. While doing so, my hands flew to his hands to dig my nails into his skin. He mumbled something about me needing to be taught a lesson.

He suddenly let go and I crawled back to Gavin who still looked helpless. I could feel my face turn into a frown as more tears blinded my vision.

My vulnerability got to the best of me as Michael attempted to get me away from Gavin. This time he was successful. He threw me against the wall, my right shoulder taking the impact.

"Great. You just killed my product." I continued crying still looking at him from a distance. "All because of your stupid shenanigans."

He walked closer to me spitting his pointless words that didn't affect anymore. But it made me more and more frightened by his presence.

It was like I was living one of Jordan's nightmares. It was exactly how he explained it to me. A helpless kid getting knocked out cold hard to floor.

The closer he got the more I feared what he would do to me. He just killed a kid and now I was left. He was livid and I could see it in how his eyes turned three shades darker.

"You thought you could just hit me with a chair and escape. Just like that? You clearly didn't think twice about who you were dealing with. Now." He grabbed my neck, squeezing it. "Now I'm going to show you who I am."

The fear I felt couldn't be compared to anything else. My fear of losing my loved ones was nothing compared to what he was going to do. The fear of knowing the unknown got to me. Not knowing whether the next time I woke up I would be here or in heaven.

My hands went to his hand trying to stop him from choking me. My breathing getting cut loose as his gaze stared into mine. Just as my eyes started to roll back he let go.

I coughed continuously, using the breathing techniques I learnt when my inhaler wasn't in sight.

"You think that felt like hell? I'm just getting started. Wait until I'm done with you. You're going to wanna rather be in hell than be with me, Renée." His final words possessing me into a ceaseless incubus.

_______________________

it's almost over guys :( updating tomorrow. you're welcome

Song~ Jello by PRETTYMUCH

Malamba