Da-Da

"Ready for your birthday Gracie bug?" Harry questions his 11 month old daughter. "Are we gonna have cake?" He smiles at her showing his excitement for her birthday coming up.

Grace didn't care about a birthday party or the cake. She was just content eating her blueberries off her tray. Her little fingers chase the berries as they roll around in front of her. It is lunch time and Harry put Grace in her high chair so she can be fed. Harry is making a peanut butter and jam sandwich at the island in the middle of the kitchen, while Grace happily enjoys her distraction of rolling blueberries.

"We are gonna have presents, and Auntie Gem and Gran are gonna come. Oh and uncle Mitch and Uncle Jeff." Harry continues to name all the guests coming to the party. "It is going to be the party of the year!"

You and Harry had planned a birthday party for Grace. The theme for the party is The Little Mermaid and it is going to be perfect. Harry found a cute little mermaid outfit for Grace to wear and he planned on dressing up as Prince Eric. Harry is still trying to convince you to be Ursula, but his convincing isn't really working. The plan is to have the whole back yard transformed into an under-the-sea experience. It's going to be a party everyone remembers.

Grace takes a big sip from her sippy cup, holding it with one hand and tilting her head back

Grace takes a big sip from her sippy cup, holding it with one hand and tilting her head back. Harry sits down in the chair in front of her. He tears up her sandwich into bite size pieces so she can chew them easily without choking. Harry sucks the peanut butter off his thumb and smiles at his baby girl.

Reaching for a tiny piece of sandwich, Grace brings it towards her mouth and opens her hand, using her palm to push the bread into her mouth.

"Grace! Daddy's gonna teach ya a trick." Harry clears his throat and scoots his chair closer to her high chair. "Say Da-Da!" Harry gives her a look of encouragement nodding his head. "DAAAA-DAAAA." Elongating the 'A' so Grace would copy.

Grace isn't phased. She is just enjoying her lunch like it's the best thing she has ever devoured. Grace had yet to say "Mumma" or "da-da" and Harry seems determined to get her to say his name first. She makes little grunts and noises as she eats but has not said her first word.

"Come on Gracie, be a good girl and say DAAA-DAAA! You can do.."

"What are you two crazy kids up to?" You interrupt Harry as you walk into the kitchen. You glance at Harry who has a mischievous look on his face.

"We.. um... are working on our first word! Aren't we bug?" He tucks her hair behind her ear as she shoves the last little bit of sandwich into her mouth.

"Is that word MUM-MA? Can you say MUM-MA?" You open your eyes wide and nod your head when you say each syllable.

"Um... no. We are gonna say DAAA-DAAA right Gracie girl? You want to say DAA-DAA!" Harry emphasizes his name hoping she will catch on.

You and Harry go back and forth with Grace trying to get her to repeat either of your names. Grace giggles at her parents because they are being extremely silly and are very entertaining.

"Gonna say it for daddy? DAA-DAA!" Grace just picks up her sippy cup for one last swig of water. Sighing, Harry stands up to grab a wash cloth to wipe off her face.

Grace throws her arms towards you, wanting help to get out of her high chair. "Say Mumma!" You smile at your girl.

"Da...da.." Grace says looking at her mum.

"What did she just say??" Harry leaves the water running and bolts to the side of the high chair. "Da Da right here! Say it again Da-Da!" Her daddy prompts pointing to the center of his chest.

Looking at her mother, holding her arms up. Grace says "da-da."

You burst into a hysterical laugh. "She thinks I'm Da-Da!!" You are laughing so hard, breathing has become difficult and tears are beginning to form. Looking over at Harry who has folded his arms and a slight scowl has formed you continue laughing.

"I'm Da-Da Gracie, that is Mumma, not Da-Da!" Harry explains pointing at himself to help her understand that he is her Da-Da.

Grace doesn't understand the concept. Grace continued calling her mother Da-Da for the next couple hours.

After dinner, Harry took Grace to get in the bathtub. She loves the tub, always splashes with the biggest smile, and jumps when the water hits her face by surprise. This always makes Harry laugh!

Getting her out of the tub, Harry wraps her in a snuggly pink towel and takes her to her room. Sitting on the floor Harry lays Grace down to finish getting her ready for bed.

"I love ya girlfriend!" Harry sweetly says as he rubs lotion on his daughters chunky thighs.

"Da....Da.." Grace coos to her father as she puts her fist into her mouth.

"Ahh! BABE! COME FAST!!" Harry yells to you while he fights back tears of happiness. "She knows I'm her daddy." He says quieter to himself. Unable to fight the tears, Harry lets them fall down his cheeks.

"What's the matter?" You burst into the room, worried something has happened with your sweet baby.

"She said Da-Da! Babe she knows I'm her daddy!" The amount of pride expressed on Harry's face is nothing you have ever seen before. He is so proud he is her daddy.

"Does she?" You say as you kneel down and and wrap your arm around your husband. "Not only are you her daddy! But you are the best daddy in the world." Kissing his temple, you bookmark this moment in your mind as one you want to keep forever.