Goodbye Gracie Girl

"Are yeh sure Grace will be okay?" Harry grips the steering wheel with one hand as his other hand rubs against your thigh anxiously. "I'm just worried she will have a rough night without her parents there to comfort her."

"I know babe, but I think she will be okay." You take his hand in yours, attempting to calm his nerves. "Your mum has done this twice you know."

"Still makes me anxious." Harry looks into his rearview mirror where he can see Grace through her mirror that is sitting on the back of the seat. At four months she has fallen in love with looking at herself, so the mirror helps to entertain her during the long rides in the car. "Grace, are yeh goin' to miss mum and daddy?" Harry's eyebrows rise in wonder.

Grace grabs her Oli & Carol teething toy, shaped as a kale leaf. Sticking the leaf into her mouth instead of answering her father's question, her drool drips down the veins of the leaf.

"I'm sure she will miss us both, love." You reassure him. "Try not to worry so much. This holiday is meant to help you and I relax a bit."

"Alright, I'll try to relax." Harry leans back into his leather seat, wiggling his shoulders back and forth in an an attempt to unknot his tight muscles. "Why aren't you freaking out more?"

"I don't know. I trust your mum. She raised a pretty good set of kids, if I do say so myself." Biting your lip, you look out the window trying hard to hold back the feeling of nervousness that has been sitting in your stomach since you pulled out of your driveway.

"Guess what daddy can see?" Harry says with fake excitement. "Gran Anne's house."

Harry drives down the road, turning into the driveway of his mum's house. As Harry puts the car in park, you hear him take a deep breath.

"It's gonna be okay. I promise." You rub your hand on his knee. "We don't have to leave until you are ready." You see a small amount of anxiety escape Harry's face.

You and Harry unbuckle your seatbelts and jump out of the black Range Rover. You open the back door so you can pull Grace's carseat out of the car. Harry makes his way around to the boot, to pull out the four leather bags you had packed for Grace's overnight stay with Anne.

With Grace's carseat draped on your arm, you walk with Harry towards the front door. Opening the front door, you hear Anne scream with excitement from the kitchen.

"My grandbaby is here to play!" She says, coming into the front entryway. "How was the drive?" She leans down to look at your sweet baby Grace, still tucked into her carseat.

"Hi mum!" Harry says biting the top of his lip with apprehension. "The drive went well. Grace didn't take a nap so she might be tired soon."

"I got the crib all set up for my girl!" She reaches into the car seat, rubbing her granddaughter's chunky cheek. "Come in!" She takes the car seat from your arms and carries Grace into the family room.

"Hopefully we brought everything she needs." You say as Harry sets the four bags on the floor. Anne's eyes grow wide as she wonders what in the world you brought for a one night stay.

"I'm sure we will be fine! Won't we Grace?" Anne unbuckles the buckle in the car seat, and weaving the small body out of the straps, she pulls Grace up and out. Anne kisses her cheek as Grace coos, continuing to drool down her kale toy.

"I wrote up her schedule." Harry says, pulling out a bundle of papers. He begins to read Grace's schedule to his mum.

10:45 prepare for nap

11:00 nap time

Read 2 stories.

Sing bedtime song

Give her Bob(sheep) and blanket

Tuck her in with a kiss

Leave the door slightly cracked so you can hear her if she cries.

12:30 Grace will wake up

12:45 Feed her a 8oz bottle.

The list goes on from there. Detailed with information so that Anne will know what to do almost every minute of the day.

"The address of the cabin we are staying at is on this page. And I also left our phone numbers in case of an emergency." He finishes.

"I'm sure Grace and I will be just fine. Thank you for the outline, dear." Anne takes the list from Harry, setting it on the couch cushion next to her.

"This bag has her clothing, including pajamas." You say opening the first bag.

"She is just staying for a night? Not a month?" Anne asks jokingly, remembering how nerve wracking it can be leaving your baby for the first time.

"We just want you to be prepared." Harry says. "This bag has her diapers and wipes. I hope there is enough." He shrugs his shoulders.

"I think that will be just fine." Anne says patiently, picking up the rubber kale off the floor, handing it back to Grace who kicks her feet in excitement.

"We packed all her favorite toys in the black bag!" You say pointing towards the leather bag on the floor. Harry unzips the bag pulling out a rubber watermelon teething toy. Moving to his knees he slides across the floor to his baby.

"She loves the kale, but she also loves watermelon. It is one of her favorites." Harry holds it in front of Grace. "You like the watermelon. Dontcha Gracie bug!" Grace is excited as she attempts to reach for the red melon. She misses the fruit by a tiny bit causing her to reach again. "Get it Gracie! Get it girl!" Harry encourages. Grace drops her kale and grabs the watermelon from her daddy lifting it immediately to her mouth, allowing her slobber to cover the side.

"You didn't need to bring all her toys." Anne chuckles. "I have plenty here just for Grace!"

"We just wanted her to be comfortable." Harry says to his mum. "Which brings me to the last bag. It is full of her sheets, blankets and bottles. That way she will feel right at home. Here is all her milk, it's breast milk and cannot be microwaved. So you will have to run it under hot water until it's warm enough."

"Thank you!" Anne says with her sweet smile. "I think we will have a grand old time. Won't we Gracie?" Leaning down Anne gives Grace a big kiss on her cheek as she babbles. "Go have fun! We will be just fine."

"Are yeh sure it will be alright?" Harry says.

"We are just a phone call away. So please don't hesitate to call us." You say.

"Come give daddy kisses!" Harry reaches for Grace pulling her into his arms, squeezing her tightly against his chest. She lays her head on his shoulder. "I think she is tired. Maybe I'll put her down for a nap before we leave." Harry stands up, and attempts to walk up stairs.

"No, I can do it. You two need to go." Anne takes Grace from her father's arms, not letting the couple stall any longer. "We are going to be just fine. I promise to call if we need you."

"Alright. Let's go H." You solemnly say, leaning over to give Grace a kiss on her forehead. "We love you so much."

"Don't forget us." Harry's voice wavers as he holds back the tears.

"She won't forget you. Now go have fun!" Anne walks behind the couple almost shooing them out of the house. She finds it incredibly cute that they are so worried about their little one.

"Please call us if you need anything." Harry says as he opens the door.

"Will do! I love you both. Goodbye!" Anne says. "Say bye mum and dad!" Anne picks up the baby's hand and waves to her parents.

You and Harry watch as Anne closes the door. Both of your hearts race with anxiety. Harry opens your door and you hop into the Range for your first night away from Grace since she has been born. You're not sure how it's going to go, but you know Harry will help to calm your nerves and Grace is in loving hands.