Grace Goes to School

"Time to wake up, sweetheart." Harry brushes the curls off his daughter's face. Her eyes open and close multiple times as they adjust to the light coming through her curtains. She rolls over, pulling Bob closer to her face, trying to go back to sleep. "Yeh start school today, little one. Let's get dressed. Mum's making pancakes." Harry slightly pulls the stuffed sheep away from his sleeping angel.

"Five minutes. Five minutes." Grace demands, causing Harry to chuckle because that is something you often say when you don't want to get out of bed. Grace is so much like her mum it makes Harry's heart smile.

"Was that a nice way to ask, Gracie bug? Why don't you ask nicely?" Harry runs his hand through her hair.

"Nicely." Grace says softly.

"Alright five more minutes." Harry giggles at his daughter. "Can yeh go for a cuddle?" Grace nods her head, scooting over in the bed so her father can climb in. Harry slides his long body under the soft pink covers, wrapping his arms around his daughter. She burrows into his chest, breathing in his scent, which helps her to calm the nervous butterflies flying around in her tummy.

"What's goin' on bug?" Harry is slightly worried about Grace. She is usually extremely excited to experience new things. "Are yeh nervous? Scared? Sick? What's the matter?' He taps Grace's forehead to get her attention. She lifts her eyes up towards her father.

"I stay home. No school for Gracie bug!" She cowers back into Harry's chest, her warm, safe place.

"You will make lots of friends at school." Harry starts. "The school has lots of toys, and a slide outside that looks like a proper fun time."

"No. I have toys here. I stay home." Small glistening tears fall from her eyes, making a wet spot appear on Harry's grey t shirt.

"I'll make yeh a deal. How does that sound?" Harry brushes her curls back away from his face as they tickle his nose. "I'll go with yeh. If you want me to stay, I will. Not gonna leave until you're ready. How does that sound Love Bug?"

"You stay whole day? With me?" Grace's eyebrows raise as she asks for reassurance.

"All day!" Harry confirms.

"O-Tay! Deal!" She hugs her father tight. "Mumma make pancakes?"

"Blueberry! If yeh get dressed, then you can have some." Harry notices a small smile sneak onto her face. Grace is scared. Nervous. Anxious. But so is her father. Harry doesn't know how he feels about his baby growing up.

Harry goes to her closet while Grace runs to the loo. Grace slowly walks into the room, dragging her feet, drawing out the process of getting dressed as long as she possibly can.

"Arms to the sky." Harry holds the bottom of her nightgown ready to lift it over her head. Grace throws her hands in the air. Harry moves the nightgown over her arms so her armpits are exposed. He tickles her armpits causing her to sit on the ground and roll around with laughter. After he is finished tickling his little one, he helps her take the nightgown over her head. Holding up her white polo.

"Arms to the sky." A smirk pulls across his lips, making Grace point her finger at her father.

"No tickles." Her face is serious so Harry decides not to test his little girl.

"Alright, no tickles. Arms to the sky please!" Harry helps Grace slip the white polo over her head and arms onto her body.

Next comes the navy blue jumper embroidered with the school crest next to her heart. The jumper is soft and the collar of her white polo lays lightly on the neckband of her jumper.