A Series of Firsts: Emotion

Smile

You switch over the last load of laundry, putting the wet clothing from the washer into the dryer. You move the dial to the 'Normal dry' setting and push the start button. Reaching down and picking up the laundry basket of fresh clean clothes you make your way up the stairs. Walking up the stairs you can hear the shuttering sounds of a camera coming from the spare bedroom.

Harry wants to make sure that the beauty of your daughter is captured as much as possible. He has taken up photography again and you are loving it. Harry is a creative soul, watching him create music is a beautiful thing to witness but you love watching him create different types of art. He has an eye for photography and always has. You have pictures that decorate your wall that document moments in his life, now he is taking pictures of Grace, capturing moments that he wants to keep forever.

Dropping the basket of laundry off on your bed, you make your way into the spare bedroom. Harry has a white blanket spread on the floor. Grace is lying in the middle, swaddled in a light blanket and a small headband is around her head. Surrounding Grace in an oval is a colorful array of flowers. Grace has her eyes closed as she is being the perfect model for her daddy.

 Grace has her eyes closed as she is being the perfect model for her daddy

You and Harry have been parents for almost a month. Although being parents isn't the easiest thing in the world, it has been one of the best experiences of your lives. Your daughter brings your little family so much joy and happiness.

"How is she doing?" You ask your husband as he lifts the camera up to his face and snaps another picture.

"Perfect, just like usual." Harry sets his camera down on the dresser and squats down to adjust one of the pink peonies lying next to Gracie.

"Looks like she is wakin' up babe." You notice Grace start to wiggle a little. Her eyes squint open and shut almost immediately from the bright lights in the room.

"'ello bug, are ya gonna wake up and give daddy some smiles?" Harry questions Grace, running his hand down her cheek.

Grace opens her eyes at his touch, making a small grunt and wiggles as much as she can due to the cocoon that is currently snuggled around her.

Her eyes adjust to the light after a few blinks and squints. Harry walks over to the dresser and picks up his camera, hoping to capture his daughter alert. The camera clicks as he snaps some pictures. Grace's lips tug on her mouth, pulling into her first smile.

"Did you see that?" Harry says, jumping up and down with excitement. "She just smiled." He beams down at you. "Gonna smile for daddy again?" He says to Grace in a high pitched voice.

"Did you get a picture of it?" You ask as tears of happiness begin to fill your eyes.

"Let's see..." Harry sticks his tongue out the side of his mouth as he searches through the pictures he just took of his daughter. "Righ' there." Harry leans the camera over to you, showing you the soft smile he captured.

"A beautiful smile, just like her father's." Leaning up you give Harry a kiss on the lips, his arms wrapping around your body pulling you in. Grace begins to fuss, feeling left out of the hugs and kisses.

Picking up your daughter and kissing her head, your heart feels grateful that your husband captured one of the most beautiful smiles in the world.

Recognition

Harry has been gone for 3 days. He didn't want to go, but an opportunity for a movie audition came up, so you encouraged him to go. Harry hasn't acted in a film since Dunkirk. You knew how much he loved the experience and 3 days away from his family would go fast. Grace is about 2 months old now and you and your little family have the daily routine down. It's been a long 3 days so you are very excited to see your husband again.

You are sitting sideways on the couch, your knees are bent and Grace is resting against them. You are watching the Notebook as you hear the garage door close and the noise of St. Laurent boots hitting your kitchen floor.

"Hello? Where are my girls?" Harry hollers as he sets his bag on the floor.

"In the front room babe!" You holler back.

Harry swiftly walks into the front room, approaching the couch, he wraps your head and neck into a hug, kissing your head and moving back and forth.

"There's my favorite girl!" Harry looks up at Grace sitting on your knees.

Grace starts kicking and waving her arms in excitement. She has missed her father and she is excited he is right in front of her.

"She wants ya babe." You say to Harry.

Harry lets go of you and comes around to the couch. He picks up Grace and sits down on the couch. Setting Grace on his chest to give her a hug, Grace cuddles in close as if to give Harry a small hug. Harry kisses her head.

"She remembers who I am." He says, his voice shaking as he starts to become emotional.

"Of course she does. You are her daddy babe. She loves you."

Harry hugs Grace close, giving her another kiss. "I have missed you two so much."

"We have missed you too." You cuddle in close with Harry and Grace, taking advantage of this moment. You and Grace are excited to have Harry home, making your family feel complete again.

Giggles

It's a beautiful August day and Harry has surprised you with take-away after his meeting with his team. The weather is warm and you suggest going outside for a picnic. You pick up Grace, grabbing Bob, her stuffed sheep, a ball and a few stacking blocks. Harry has laid a blanket down in the grass, creating a nice little area to eat lunch. You sit on the blanket, spreading your legs wide. You place Grace between your legs so she can lean up against you and play with her toys.

"Havin' a good day Gracie bug?" Harry asks his daughter as she leans forward to grab onto the red block that is sitting by her foot.

"She took a lovely nap, and has played most of the day." You tell Harry. "How was your meeting?" You ask, picking up a grape, popping it in your mouth.

"It was good. Jeff says hello." Harry takes a bite of his turkey sandwich. "I did miss my girls though." Poking his daughter who turned 4 months yesterday. She looks at her dad, throwing the block back onto the floor.

"We missed you too. Didn't we Grace?" Tilting your head to the side, you look at Grace. Her chunky cheeks bulge out as she sticks the blue block into her mouth.

Abandoning his lunch Harry picks up Bob, dancing him towards Grace. "Kiss you." He says scrunching up his nose as he has Bob's mouth touch his daughter's lips. Pulling Bob back, he slowly dances Bob towards Grace again. "I'm gonna....Kiss you." Bob kisses Grace again. Harry pulls Bob back fast.

Out of nowhere, Grace erupts into a giggle. Both you and Harry have eyes the size of golf balls as you are shocked your daughter just giggled for the first time.

"Do it again! Maybe she will laugh!" You encourage Harry.

"Gonna laugh for... Daddy." He has Bob kiss Grace on her lips.

Once again, your daughter erupts into hysterical giggles stroking her father's ego because he thinks he is the funniest man alive.

"That right there is the best sound ever to exist." Harry states, making Grace laugh again after receiving more kisses from Bob.

"I couldn't agree more." You say, smiling at your husband.

You and Harry spend the next 30 minutes making Grace giggle. Recording it and sending it to all of your family and friends. When Harry sings, he heals hearts and makes them smile. When Grace laughs, she does the same thing.