A Rough Night for Gracie Bug

Peppa Pig is helping Daddy Pig mix ingredients for a pie on the telly while Grace cuddles into her father's side, eyes glued to the screen. Grace yawns, indicating she is tired and ready for bed. The pie is now baked and the show has come to an end, Harry looks down at Grace, brushing the damp curls away from her face.

"Time fo' bed, love bug." Harry says softly to his little one.

"One more show. Pwease?" Grace pleads with her father in a whiny voice.

"Not tonigh' Grace. You have school tomorrow." Harry speaks to Grace in a stern voice, letting her know he is not in the mood to deal with an argument.

"But I want a show." Grace tilts her head back and flops her body on the couch, starting to cry. "Pwease daddy!" She cries, hoping if she begs long enough Harry will just give in.

Harry stands up from the couch; looking down at Grace he takes a deep breath, realizing she isn't going to go to bed without a fight.

"Grace, you have two choices." Harry holds up his fingers as he goes through her options. "One. You can stand up, and go to your bedroom. Or Two. I can help you. Which do yeh choose?" Placing his hands on his hips, his lips are firm and eyebrows unamused as he waits for his daughter's reply.

"I. Want. A. SHOOOOWWW!" Grace kicks her legs on the couch to prove her point.

"That isn't an option, Grace." Harry shakes his head back and forth in the universal sign of no. "Daddy is gonna count down from five. If I get to zero, I'm just going to take you to bed."

"NOOOOO!" Grace yells at her father, the tears finally begin to flow down face.

"Five..... Four.....Three..... Two.... One.... I'm almost to zero Grace. Are you going to walk upstairs yourself?" Harry counts down with his fingers, holding the one up before he hits zero.

"Okay, Zero. Let's go, little one." Harry picks up Grace, cradling her in his arms. He is feeling irritated. This isn't typical bedtime behavior for Grace, and it's frustrating she is choosing not to listen.

"No! I want a show!" Grace kicks her feet hard, using her hands to push away from her father. Harry holds her tight to his chest. She is putting up a fight that will be hard for anyone to battle, especially her father. Grace has Harry wrapped around her fingers, and sometimes Harry struggles to stand his ground, but not tonight. He is feeling determined.

"Grace Gemma Styles. It is time for you to calm down." Harry is starting to become frustrated with his four-year-old daughter as she throws a fit. He walks up the stairs to her room, padding across the room towards her bed. He lays her down on the bed, Grace kicks the blanket away as her sobs increase so much her breathing is becoming very labored. "Grace... please stop crying. I'm asking nicely." Harry pleads with his daughter, even though it just makes her cry harder. He is starting to feel the tears pool in his eyes as his heart hurts for his upset daughter.

Harry sent you to bed early tonight. You were feeling tired because growing a baby does that to your body. Hearing the cries outside of your room, you are worried and decide to see what is going on. You poke your head into the room.

"What's going on, Grace?" You pad softly into your daughter's bedroom. Arriving at her bed you place your hand on her foot, hoping to give a little bit of comfort. Grace rips her foot out of your grasp thrashing her legs around once again.

"I watch a show! No bed!" She screams, her face starting to get red and blotchy from being so upset. "I NOT TIRED!" She demands.

"I disagree with that statement." Harry lets out an exhausted sigh. You put your hand on his back.

"Why don't we take some deep breaths. As a family? Including you, Harry." You say after you see your husband roll his eyes. You can feel his annoyance and you are positive Grace can feel it too.

"NO... DEEP.... BREAFS!!!" Grace wails. You pick up Bob, her favorite stuffed sheep, from the end of the bed. You bring it close to Grace, hoping his presence will calm her down. "No! Away!" Grace struggles to take in air. Her little tummy heaves up and down, trying to bring in as much air as possible.

Harry has taken multiple deep breaths, calming his body. Taking her covers, Harry attempts to tuck his sad little girl into bed. She once again pushes her covers away, growling at her father.

"No daddy. No cobers!" She sucks in a breath; a yawn attempts to escape, causing her breathing to become even more jagged.

"I'm just gonna sing a song." Harry looks back at you; his helpless expression breaks your heart. His heart is longing to help his Gracie bug calm down so she can sleep.

"I think that's a wonderful idea." You say over your daughter's sobs that are the loudest they have been since the tantrum began.

Harry starts to sing.

"Somewhere over the rainbow, Way up high

And the dreams that you dreamed of once in a lullabye.

Somewhere over the rainbow, blue birds fly

And the dreams that you dreamed of dreams really do come true. "

Grace closes her eyes as she listens to her father sing. His voice begins to calm her sobs, helping her breathing to become more even and less crazy.

"Someday I'll wish upon a star, and wake up where the clouds are far behind me.

Where trouble melts like lemon drops

High about the chimney top, that's where you'll find me."

Her breathing is now completely smooth, Grace bites her lips as she sucks in some air. You lift her blanket over her body and tuck her in as Harry continues to sing softly.

"Oh, somewhere over the rainbow blue birds fly

And the dream that you dare to, oh why, oh why, can't I?"

Harry finishes the song, brushing the curls off her forehead. Grace's puffy eyes have now closed, her wet eyelashes glisten from the light of the lamp.

"Are you okay, love bug?" Harry asks, his sweet little girl.

"Ya. I... Sorry." She apologizes without opening her eyes. Clearly she is worn out.

"I love you butterfly much." Harry kisses her forehead, knowing that if he tried to talk about what happened it wouldn't do any good because she is starting to snore. Her soft snores make a small smile appear on Harry's face as he thinks about your sweet snores when you fall asleep.

He kisses her forehead one last time, rubbing his thumb against her cheek. He smiles as he looks at the pout of her lips. He loves this little girl so much, a tantrum will never change the amount of love he has for this tiny human.