Twinkle Twinkle

"Thanks for the invite, H." Jeff says as he pushes another marshmallow onto his roasting stick, handing it over to his five year old son Hawk. "Buddy, be careful not to poke anyone and don't run around the fire." He instructs with a slight look of terror on his face. The little boy rolls his eyes so hard his eyes must have hurt. 

"Don' run Hawky. Be caw-ful!" Grace gives Hawk a glare that would make a spider drop dead, and he sticks his tongue out at her. She means business and the fire is not something to mess around with.

"It's a lovely tradition." Harry smiles over at you.

"I think it's fun." You say, throwing a wink over at your husband as you open up the chocolate bars and graham crackers. The backyard of your LA home has been transformed into a campground. A tradition that happens every year in the month of June.

"Did Glenne stay inside?" Jeff asks about his pregnant wife

"Yea. She sounded tired. I think she was getting something to drink."' You reply.

"Aunt Glenne not gonna camp?" Grace flings her stick out of the fire and the marshmallow slowly slides down the prong. "What da heck!" Grace begins to giggle as she looks over at Hawk who is making a funny face.

"Grace, my mama is camping. Just you wait and see." Hawk nods his head as he replies to Gracie's question.

"Bug, put the mallow back into the fire. Then turn it like this..." Harry comes behind Grace, holding her arm as he helps her slowly turn the metal rod in a circle, making the white marshmallow toast from the heat. "See that, nice an' brown." Harry holds the stick out of the fire and examines the treat, making sure it is perfectly done. Harry moves the stick back into the fire once more.

"I like mine burned. Like this!" Jeff sticks his white marshmallow into the fire, setting it aflame. Both Grace and Hawk stop and look at the glowing ball of fire in front of them and Jeff brings it close to his face and blows out the hot ball. "Yummy!" Jeff says, pulling the marshmallow off the stick and plopping it straight into his mouth, chewing a few times.

"I don't want mine on fire...." Grace says, staring at Jeff as if he just ate an octopus.

"Only a special kind of people like it that way. We are normal; we like them light brown." Harry says, chuckling at the face Jeff makes after Harry's comment about him being weird.

"All done, Daddy?" Grace exclaims jumping up and down with excitement, her curls bouncing off her head like frogs jumping into a cool lake.

"Gonna put it on the chocolate and graham." Harry walks over to the set up with Grace. "Break your cracker." He instructs, pointing towards the package of brown sweet crackers. Grace's small rainbow painted fingers break the cracker in half. "Good! Now, put on the chocolate." You hand Grace a section of chocolate that she places on one side of the cracker. "And then put the top on and I'll pull the stick out." Harry places the warm marshmallow on the chocolate and allows Gracie to top the treat with the other end of graham. Sliding the stick out of the s'more, Harry kisses Grace on her head. "Now eat it!"

Holding the sticky treat between her tiny hands, she walks carefully over to her bright pink camp chair. Resting her bum on the edge, she scoots back into the seat, relaxing before taking a big bite.

You and Harry watch as she takes the s'more to her mouth. The marshmallow touches her cheeks and you can see the second your daughter tastes the sugar.

"Dat yummy." Licking her lips, Grace dives in for another bite. Chewing her chunk faster than you can say Treat People with Kindness. "Poppy want some?" She leans over in her chair, holding out the treat for the dog.

"No Grace! That will make Poppy sick, love. Just for Grace." You say, chuckling at her willingness to share everything.

You, Harry, Jeff and the kids enjoy a few more s'mores as the sun begins to set, scattering the sky in stars that look like a painting that could be hung in a famous gallery.

"Daddy?" Grace asks as she cuddles into his chest, watching the fire burn before them. Both kids were feeling tired; Hawk crawled up on Glenne's lap and fell asleep against her chest and Jeff held sweet baby River. The warmth of the fire made you feel calm and safe. These are the types of moments you live for.

"Yes, bug?" Harry returns; resting his chin against her head, his fingers draw circles on her arms.

"You gonna go sing soon?" Her voice isn't sad yet, but is filled with a need to know what's about to happen to her little world.

"Yes. Daddy has to go sing." Harry says, letting out a deep breath; you can feel the anxiety and worry wafting off his body like the smoke from the fire.

"Unca Jeff go too?" Grace asks. Her eyebrows crinkle with wonder, and Jeff nods his head yes.

"Mmhmm. And Mitch, Sarah, Clare, and Adam." Harry brushes the hair away from her eyes. And continues to hold her tight. "Are you worried, love?" Harry feels the movement of Grace's head as she nods yes.

"You be far away. Foreber?" She is quiet in her response, and it breaks your heart. These conversations have come up frequently as Harry prepares for tour. It will be hard for his Bug but hopefully these chats will make it easier in the long run.

"See those lights in the sky?" Harry points towards the beautiful picture above their head. "Do you know what those are called?"

"Stars!" Grace says, smiling at her correct answer.

"That's right, bug. Stars. When daddy is across the world, far far away, my stars and your stars are the same." Harry rocks his baby girl side to side softly as he explains that he will see the same stars she will.

"You show me?" Grace asks.

"Yes! I'll send you a picture." Harry smiles, looking up at the sky, taking this moment into his heart. "Hey, do you know I love you Butterfly much?"

"I lob you butterfly much." Grace responds

"And so much more." You add on.

"Let's go get in the tent! It's bedtime!" Harry stands from his camp chair, taking Grace towards the tent that has been placed in the backyard.

———

2 months later.

For Grace: Stars outside of Tokyo